Very slow dripping tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbrewry

Reaction score
My fermenter has a very slow dripping tap, dirpps once or twice a day. Would this effect the beer? I.e letting oxygen in

Cheers

Guys

Is it dripping from the tap outlet or around the tread ?
I would definitely be looking at a new one once this brew is done considering they only cost a few dollars . May also pay to pull the tap apart once you have the FV empty to see if theres any crap stuck in it ,

Cheers Stu

Its a possible entry point for infection if insects or vinegars flys can get at it. I had a similar situation years ago and the infection made its way through the tap to the brew inside. I didn't realise what had happened and the tap infected a second brew. I pull taps apart for cleaning every time since then. Ifs its only a very slow leak you could wrap the tap with a piece of cling wrap held in place with a rubber band. Or a piece of the right size tubing pushed onto the tap and then crimped back on itself.

Make sure you thoroughly clean the tap before bottling or kegging. Cotton tips dipped in sanitiser until visibly clean then a good spray or squirt with sanitiser after that.

Its a good idea to replace taps every so often. Whenever I have a leaky one I take it as a sign to bin it and get a new one.

Will,
Also have a real close look around the tap and the thread on the fermenter. I had a FV get a crack in the plastic around the thread area after doing a big, high-pressure brew. Had a similar issue with the small drip but was able to get through to bottling etc luckily. Tossed it after that, as I couldn't fix.
Cheers,
Pete

Unclestewbrew said:
Is it dripping from the tap outlet or around the tread ?
I would definitely be looking at a new one once this brew is done considering they only cost a few dollars . May also pay to pull the tap apart once you have the FV empty to see if theres any crap stuck in it ,

Cheers Stu

earle said:
Its a possible entry point for infection if insects or vinegars flys can get at it. I had a similar situation years ago and the infection made its way through the tap to the brew inside. I didn't realise what had happened and the tap infected a second brew. I pull taps apart for cleaning every time since then. Ifs its only a very slow leak you could wrap the tap with a piece of cling wrap held in place with a rubber band. Or a piece of the right size tubing pushed onto the tap and then crimped back on itself.

Make sure you thoroughly clean the tap before bottling or kegging. Cotton tips dipped in sanitiser until visibly clean then a good spray or squirt with sanitiser after that.

Its a good idea to replace taps every so often. Whenever I have a leaky one I take it as a sign to bin it and get a new one.

Gigantorus said:
Will,
Also have a real close look around the tap and the thread on the fermenter. I had a FV get a crack in the plastic around the thread area after doing a big, high-pressure brew. Had a similar issue with the small drip but was able to get through to bottling etc luckily. Tossed it after that, as I couldn't fix.
Cheers,
Pete

the brew kit I have is just a new coopers diy fermenter. I did take it apart to give it a sanitise before I did the new brew. Maybe I didn't screw it back properly. its the second time I used it.

cheers

Had the same issue with mine. Replaced my tap with a new one (from Bunnings) and it sorted itself out.

I had two new taps leaking, a little bit of keg lube on the barrel of each during the next clean sorted out the leak and made them much easier to turn.

[SIZE=11pt]As above, a little keg lube or vaseline will stop taps dripping. Even new taps can drip occasionally on a fermenter. [/SIZE]

got two dripping pretty bad here. Brand new ones.
Wound them out a bit, smeared keg lube in and wound them back in to almost all the way. Sorted for now...

Have to fix it proper after kegging.

Cheers,
D80

KY Jelly is a good keg lube alternative.

The coopers DIY tap is a known leaker. A bit of lube will sort it out. I scored one of the coopers "craft beer" kits very cheaply and noticed it had a much better tap included.

My process for cleaning taps:
1. Unwind tap from fermenter
2. Check thread on fermenter and clean
3. Soak tap in warm water to soften it
3. Use the common white style stirring spoon that you get in most kits and insert it into the threaded end of the tap
4. Push hard down against the ground and the two pieces of the tap will separate
5. Clean - Usually there is some trub that cannot be cleaned without breaking the tap down
6. Sanitise and put back together
7. Screw into cleaned thread on fermenter

the coopers diy taps are notorious for leaking after a few uses. as mentioned apply some food grade keg lube to the rubber seal on the tap. if its still leaking you will have to order a new one from the online coopers store

Back