Very Nice Drop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzla

Reaction score
Hi, I suppose this really should be in the recipe DB. I do however think anyone playing considering around with hops and not using the pre hopped goo might find it easier to find it here. I have been brewing for about a year now using combinations of Coopers cans, DME, LME hops and crystal grains. Most brews (ales) have been wonderful, as good as I could buy IMOI. I have just cracked a keg of something using DME and hops that I think is very good and will give someone considering experimenting without pre hopped cans an appreciation of what is described as grapefruit notes. To me the individual hops are not generally detectable in pre hopped cans. here goes a simple but interesting brew

about 450 g DME in 4 - 5 L water bring to rolling boil (not a full on boil or all the water will be gone before you finish)
set the clock for 40 mins
add 10g Galaxy hops and 20g Cascade hops
wait 30 mins then add another 20g cascade
when the 40 mins is up (10mins after the last Cascade) cool it down a by standing the pot with the lid on in cold water)
Put this in the fermenter (green bits of hops and all) with
another 1.8 Kg DME
200 g Wheat dry Malt
300g dex (not sugar)
100 g maltodextrin (corn syrup)

In 23 L This should come out about 10 days later at 4.5 % kegged, IBU 28.3 and taste very nice.

Cheers Tom

Hi, I suppose this really should be in the recipe DB. I do however think anyone playing considering around with hops and not using the pre hopped goo might find it easier to find it here. I have been brewing for about a year now using combinations of Coopers cans, DME, LME hops and crystal grains. Most brews (ales) have been wonderful, as good as I could buy IMOI. I have just cracked a keg of something using DME and hops that I think is very good and will give someone considering experimenting without pre hopped cans an appreciation of what is described as grapefruit notes. To me the individual hops are not generally detectable in pre hopped cans. here goes a simple but interesting brew

about 450 g DME in 4 - 5 L water bring to rolling boil (not a full on boil or all the water will be gone before you finish)
set the clock for 40 mins
add 10g Galaxy hops and 20g Cascade hops
wait 30 mins then add another 20g cascade
when the 40 mins is up (10mins after the last Cascade) cool it down a by standing the pot with the lid on in cold water)
Put this in the fermenter (green bits of hops and all) with
another 1.8 Kg DME
200 g Wheat dry Malt
300g dex (not sugar)
100 g maltodextrin (corn syrup)

In 23 L This should come out about 10 days later at 4.5 % kegged, IBU 28.3 and taste very nice.

Cheers Tom

Love Galaxy and Cascade, but I always take my IBU's >30 and ABV >5% - KAPOWWWWW

Just try to do a 6L hop boil and try to keep it up is all I can say :)

This sounds very nice although i am still yet to do a beer with galaxy added. Its still very possible to use hops with the kit brew as this is what i usually do and they are all quite nice, you just dont need to use as much as the kit is already bittered. Id go for around 1g hop per litre. Some like more some like less but it comes down to personal preference.

Thanks for sharing your recipe..

An excellent move into extract brewing,

now just add 250-500 g of steeped grain and pour off the liquid into your brew next time
and it will be even better.

Back