Very High 2ndary Ale Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Due to very little stock, i will be racking my bitter to 2ndary to clear the brew firdge for another brew. The beer in 2ndary will be sitting in my spare room, which, lately has been sitting around the 30c mark, will this have a negative effect on my beer??, it is about 95% fermented, and the primary was 18c.

Any advice would be appreciated.

G'day mje1980,

I don't have a definitive answer based on empirically tested 'facts' for you other than that I don't know that 30 degrees is a great temp for beer at any stage and try to avoid such temps myself.

If you don't have any fridge space and must use that room, why don't you try the old wet towel and ice bottle trick? Will keep it from getting too extreme and works even better if you can get a fan/moving air onto the towel. If you do this straight from your fridge you should be able to keep it at 22-24 which is a lot better than 30. Or you could just bottle when you feel it is ready...

Good luck,

Shawn.

The BOM perdictions for Sydney for Thursday to after the weekend is low 20's. Should be similar for the Gong. So it it should be right for the secondary depending on room temp.

Gough said:
Or you could just bottle when you feel it is ready...

[post="49132"][/post]​

not disagreeing here.. this is something i was thinking about whilst racking the other night.. if the temps the same why is a bottle 'safer'.. apart from a tiny less trub i dont really see any difference?

Don't Coopers warm condition some of their ales?

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
Don't Coopers warm condition some of their ales?
[post="49189"][/post]​

The info is old, but here's a quote from Michael Jackson's Beer Companion, 1994:

"The brewery claims to warm condition its (sparkling ale) bottles and kegs for six weeks, before releasing them."

But this is bottle or keg conditioning with fresh yeast. Not the mass of old yeast cake of the secondary.

To quote again, this time from Palmer's How to Brew:
"When a yeast cell dies it ruptures, leaving several off flavours in the beer. When you have a large yeast mass on the bottom of the fermenter, you have a large potential for off flavours due to autolysis".

Less trub is arguably quite a difference. By racking to 2ndry you have removed a large amount of the yeast trub. How much will depend on at what stage of the primary ferment you rack at.

wee stu said:
Less trub is arguably quite a difference. By racking to 2ndry you have removed a large amount of the yeast trub. How much will depend on at what stage of the primary ferment you rack at.
[post="49199"][/post]​

wee stu - so would you say it might be a better idea to rack it to 2ndry, wait 2 or so days for the trub (which gets stirred up from racking) to settle out again, & then bottle?

Another option, which I'm using at the moment with a Grumpy's Extrabrew, is to put your secondary into a tub of water (I also add a squirt of sterilizer) & then regularly put frozen ice-bricks into the tub.

beers said:
wee stu - so would you say it might be a better idea to rack it to 2ndry, wait 2 or so days for the trub (which gets stirred up from racking) to settle out again, & then bottle?
[post="49269"][/post]​

English bitters, arguably, don't need extended 2ndary conditioning. If you are happy that the ferment is finished and the trub is settled - bottle it.

Back