Very Bitter Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangewhip

Reaction score
Hi all. I have just tried to jazz up a kit and kilo.I had a kit of coopers Canadian blonde and brew enhancer 2.To jazz it up I cracked 250 grams of traditional ale grain and steeped in a litre of water at 60 c for 45 mins. I then sparged and boiled the wort for 30 mins ( I was going to boil for 1 hour but after 30 mins I was scared it was all going to evaporate).At 10 mins to go I added 15 g of fugues so total boil was 40 mins.Chucked it all in the fermenter og was 140 and tasted it, it was terribly bitter.Will the bitterness dissipate or am I stuck with a stuff up on my first effort to jazz up a kit and kilo?Thanks Brendon

If I make an all grain brew with a reasonable amount of hops, it is often both bitter and sweet prior to fermenting. Integration of many flavours occurs during fermentation and conditioning/maturing.

Fermentation changes a lot of things and decision can't be made until that process occurs (except when bad infections strike)

I'd relax and let it do its thing. Taste at various points through ferment to get an understanding of what changes occur (and remember that not all of those tastes will be great - they just help you learn).

Mate
You havent really given much information that people can use to help you, like the AA% of your hops, lets say they were around 4.5%, boiled for 15 minutes they arent going to add more than a couple of IBU to 23L, the kit will give you about 16 IBU, so no the hops arent really going to make much difference.
Wort looses about 30% of its bitterness during fermentation so yes it will be less bitter later.
I dont know how many worts (per fermentation) you have tasted but they are always a lot bitterer than the beer they make.
Mark

Couple of tips, its Fuggle Hops and 140 isnt a gravity reading I hope you mean 1.040 which is about what you would expect from the ingredients listed (well 1.043) at 23L

I've done half dozen kit and kilo jobbies so I'm not experienced at tasting a lot of brews. This is the first at trying to add something different.
The fuggles are 4.5-5.7. I added 15g.
Anyway I'm grateful for your info and I hope the bitterness subsides as noted.
Brendon

FYI I cracked one of these tonight, bitterness gone and I'm sure this will be a good drink in a month or so.

great to hear orange...nothing better than when a plan comes together!

Latest posts

Back