Vegetarian Gel-it-in Queens

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcarter

Reaction score
Had a keg of beer, waited... waited.... for it to clear and then after a week got tired of waiting and just added gelatin as usually do.

Next day clear beer and no yeasty off flavour, happy days.

That said I have a few lads that are not to fond of some additives and I like knowing if a vegan or "other" comes round they can have a beer and cheer up a little. *Clearer beer may increase happiness*

So to the point any one know if the "vegan non threatening alternative" seaweed derived Gel-it-in by queens does the same decent job of it's animal cousin?

Irish moss is seaweed so I'm thinking it may, I'll give it a go regardless when I find it but I'm sure one of you have gone before me.

http://www.beyondthesquare.com.au/media_files/File-54.FINAL.pdf?PHPSESSID=edd096a17d775246ed0a876e449a6f77

Isn't the point of adding gelatine that it all drops out taking the yeast with it, that being the case the resulting beer would still be vegetarian freindly.

Personally I don't take much consideration of whether anything I make appeals to vegetarians/vegans, it's their choice not to consume animal products, not mine.

Yeast isn't the issue, it is that gelatin is made from animals - that's what they are generally concerned with.

Bio fine clear is considered the vegan alternative... I haven't used it, but it looks quite promising.

brendo said:
Yeast isn't the issue, it is that gelatin is made from animals - that's what they are generally concerned with.

Bio fine clear is considered the vegan alternative... I haven't used it, but it looks quite promising.
I think the point Donske is making is that there will not be any animal product in the finished beer as it drops out with the yeast.

elcarter said:
Had a keg of beer, waited... waited.... for it to clear and then after a week got tired of waiting and just added gelatin as usually do.

Next day clear beer and no yeasty off flavour, happy days.

That said I have a few lads that are not to fond of some additives and I like knowing if a vegan or "other" comes round they can have a beer and cheer up a little. *Clearer beer may increase happiness*

So to the point any one know if the "vegan non threatening alternative" seaweed derived Gel-it-in by queens does the same decent job of it's animal cousin?

Irish moss is seaweed so I'm thinking it may, I'll give it a go regardless when I find it but I'm sure one of you have gone before me.

http://www.beyondthesquare.com.au/media_files/File-54.FINAL.pdf?PHPSESSID=edd096a17d775246ed0a876e449a6f77
There may still be trace amounts in there but if your vegan buddies are that anal they had better not drink beer (and definitely not water) as it contains microfauna.

I've found many pieces of mouse in by grain bags. Little dessicated bones with skin and fur still attached.

Given that information, I don't see how you can claim that any beer is vegan, and I've told my vegan and vego mates that. Some will still drink it, some won't.

Anyway, isn't Brewbrite and Polyclar animal product free?

I think my point really is Gel-it-in may be the cheaper alternative to Brewbrite and Polyclar.

I'm not to fond of paying more just for a product that you can find in your supermarket.

Vegans aren't just concerned with whether they're consuming it, they're concerned with whether it's been used in the process.

Vegans aren't just concerned with whether they're consuming it, they're concerned with whether it's been used in the process.

Yup. But sometimes it depends on how you define veganism/vegetarianism - if I recall correctly, I happened across one group yesterday that declared they were 'content' based, not 'process' based - so beer that's been cleared with gelatine was fine with them.

Pretty sure though most vegans don't worry about microfauna - if they did they wouldn't be able to eat anything. (Those damn bacteria, they're everywhere....) Yeast, being a fungus, is kind of a hard case.

Question I asked my vegetarian other half today: "Hey, would you eat a Venus fly trap or would it feel too carnivorous for you?"

It really is hard to please everyone.

I just found out one lad's brother wont eat gluten. He's not gluten intolerant jut decided he wont eat it any more.

I'm not even going to try that one.

Cheers for the vegan tips I don't usually hang around those sorts, or more they don't hang around my carnivore type.

Vegetarian Gelatin queens haha a new descricptive term, a bit nicer than calling them a horses hoof.

I hope no one takes offense at my poor attempt at humor

Sorry for taking your post in a sideways direction elcarter. My point was simply " where do vegans draw the line?". Some that i have spoken proudly declare that the taking of any animal life is wrong. Using that ideology you have to ask if a cow has a more important life than the millions of microscopic creatures we kill every time we eat, drink or breath. Buggered if i know. What i do know is that the bits of diced pig carcass mixed through the pasta i'm having for lunch are delicious.

wereprawn said:
Sorry for taking your post in a sideways direction elcarter. My point was simply " where do vegans draw the line?". Some that i have spoken proudly declare that the taking of any animal life is wrong. Using that ideology you have to ask if a cow has a more important life than the millions of microscopic creatures we kill every time we eat, drink or breath. Buggered if i know. What i do know is that the bits of diced pig carcass mixed through the pasta i'm having for lunch are delicious.

Bacon is the reason I will never understand vegetarians, I mean, if you've tried bacon and decided not to eat it ever again you must be certifiably insane.

Where do I write to for mine?

I also don't get people who don't like mangoes. wtf is wrong with them!!!!

Then there are the boiled and steamed veggie brigade I don't get. wtf is wrong with you people that can't handle spices at all!!!!

To be frank, it is a choice of life, made for whatever reason. If I had to do it over again I might under the same influences make the same choices. What I am still struggling to come to terms with is the insanely meat heavy cuisine in Australia, after all these years here and knowing the richness of fresh produce grown here and imported too I am stuck for choice everytime I go out for a feed, lunch at the cafeteria, even so called vege bars. It is almost like the collective commercial cooks in the country have a massive collective brain freeze when they think 'vegetable', their feet gravitate towards the steamer and sack of potatoes.

Ffs, you left the bleak irish/English lands behind, probably time to embrace this beautiful partly tropical continent you (collective pasty ignoramus) came to live on.

I use gelatin in most of my beers, no one asks me, so I don't tell them. However, If a pale, frail vegan said, "oh no I can't drink your beer because you've used a cows foot in the brewing process" I'd say "**** off,before I punch you in the face vegan boy".

I'm with you on your broader point regarding spices & variety of produce.

wereprawn said:
I don't think vegans know that plants don't want to die, some plants come up with pretty neat tricks to make sure they can procreate. Everything even single cell organisms have an instinct to survive.

Black Devil Dog said:
I use gelatin in most of my beers, no one asks me, so I don't tell them. However, If a pale, frail vegan said, "oh no I can't drink your beer because you've used a cows foot in the brewing process" I'd say "**** off,before I punch you in the face vegan boy".
I'm neither vegan nor vegetarian and am unlikely to change but I'd pay good money to see you say that to someone like Jake Shields.

If someone is vegan I'd tell them what's in my beer, their choice doesn't impact me and I wouldn't deceive them.

But I'd also be sure to point them to the statistics on the number of animals that are accidentally killed during the wheat and barley harvests, thereby ruling out non gelatin cleared beers, bread and a shitload of other foods if they're genuine about their choice. If they're hypocrites and/or only vegan when it's not too inconvenient then I'm also OK with that, as long as they accept that fact. I have no issue with anyone's choices as long as they're not preachy or high and mighty about it.

wide eyed and legless said:
Wonder if the steroids he takes are vegan :)
Steroids make people really, really good at jiu jitsu.
I wonder if the idiot pills some people seem to be on contain bacon?

Latest posts

Back