Vb-under Attack From Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the Boags draught in Launceston pubs is a really nice refreshing beer, and i dont normally go for characterless megabrews but this was an enjoyable exception.

Jeeze I purchased a slab of Boags (premium lager) a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how "corny" it was. Dominating corny. I'll never buy the beer again. It was a bit of a novelty purchase, anyway.

And for the record it was more a DMS corny (and really, I wouldn't fault it as DMS necessarily) but more a heavy adjunct-laden corn that was terribly off-putting.

Sure VB has that wheat/carbonic bite, fightin' beer thing going for it and is slagged off here, regularly. And having said that, VB is not a bad beer imo.. it's not a good beer, but hey point is, Boags lager made my bad beer list <_<

reVox

I personally hope VB surges back to the top of the market and washes away all the other mega brewers in fizzy yellow tsunami - leaving 51% of the market for Fosters and 49% divided amongst the craft brewers... but that might have something to do with a fair amount of shares in my portfolio and wanting to work a bit more overtime... got an overseas trip coming up and someone's gotta pay.

Revox - it is DMS. If you are doing sensory evaluation training and you want to demonstrate to someone exactly what it is that DMS smells like... you go buy yourself a Boags and let them have a smell.

OTT in my book, can't drink the stuff. Mind you VB is a fair way down my list of stuff to reach for in the beer fridge too.

C'mon VB.... stomp the opposition!!! Thirsty's got a credit card to pay off and the telly's on the blink.

Latest news from the LBS manager is that Boags in now putting out the XXX Red Ale in kegs.
Even better news is that my old haunt in town is taking VB off the tap and putting the XXX in it's place. That's gotta be good for business and after all these years I'll be able to try the old faithful XXX from the tap.

I had a pleasant surprise with a couple of tallies of Cascade Pale Ale that you can get from 1st Choice. A lager of course, but nice bready grainy fullness (I note it's still 5% ABV) - smooth as a baby's bottom and no metallic twang that you seem to get from Boags Draught. There's just something about Boags that reminds me of sucking a rusty nail. However I've never been to Tasmania and haven't tried the local tap versions.

I can't drink the draught from the tap here any more, gives me a chronic hangover.
It'll be interesting to see how the Red compares.
+1 on the Cascade Pale Ale, much prefer that to the Boag's Draught. That stuff is only for the tourists and export, us locals drink the good stuff.
You might get all our good apples but you aren't gettin our good beer.

Each to their own as for taste. Being a local, it was either Boags or cascade when I started drinking. Being north of Oatlands, it was Boags, as only southerners drink that cats p*ss cascade. Couldn't get VB,but fosters was available. As I got older, I didn't enjoy the taste of boags draught, so drank many different beers, including VB, Tooheys Pils, CD, MB and even cascade. Still try Boags every now and then, bit I think that they use the brewers jocks for the filtering. Smells bad, tastes ordinary. Much prefer that cats p*iss from the south.
Boags pure is rubbish - Boags Premium is OK. Don't hold much hope for the Red xxx - last time I tried it, it didn't appeal that much. Wizard Smith is a great drop, drank it all the time until the local irish pub swapped to JSGA. Wizard is probably their best beer.
But if Boags take over from VB, what do I care -I homebrew, and have only purchased half a dozen cartons in the last 9 months. I tend to buy microbrews now, or imported beers from the local bottleshop (over 150 different beers - slowly working my way through)
Cheers
David

I tend to buy microbrews now, or imported beers from the local bottleshop (over 150 different beers - slowly working my way through)
Cheers
David

I know the place and doing the same myself.
The Red is going on at the Beach apparently.

Club Hotel - Burnie. Great range, has all the beers that are talked about on here, plus a few more. Even has Seven Sheds from Railton - only bottleshop that has it I think- the Willie Warmer is great. Plus the the manager is a great bloke - barracks for North Melbourne.
p.s. No affilliation at all, just been my local for about 20 years.

Off Topic - Let's hope they still have some of the ones we haven't tried left next time we go in.

I had a pleasant surprise with a couple of tallies of Cascade Pale Ale that you can get from 1st Choice. A lager of course, but nice bready grainy fullness (I note it's still 5% ABV) - smooth as a baby's bottom and no metallic twang that you seem to get from Boags Draught. There's just something about Boags that reminds me of sucking a rusty nail. However I've never been to Tasmania and haven't tried the local tap versions.
I get that metallic taste in guinness widget cans occasionally, I guess we are just at the far end of their respective supply chains? I haven't had a boags since I was a teenager though so I can't speak for that.

Back