Vb Thirsts For New Image

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
YOU can get it ridin', you can get it drivin', you can get it workin' a plough ... matter of fact, you can get it without even being alive.

For 36 years, the past 14 of them posthumously, actor John Meillon's gravelly tones have presented Victoria Bitter as a just reward for a hard day's work in one of the nation's longest-running advertising campaigns.

But on November 21, when VB's first all-new television commercials go to air, the beer will trade its blue-collar origins for a more urban, humorous, classless image.

Carlton & United Beverages head of marketing Steve Arthurson says no one can replace Meillon, but the company realised two years ago the old ads weren't having the effect they used to.

"Things are changing about the Australian male and that's what we want to tap into," Mr Arthurson said at the campaign launch in Melbourne yesterday.

If that sounds like VB is targeting metrosexuals, rest assured - CUB will do whatever it takes, including spending an estimated $12million on ads to ensure VB remains "the bloke's beer".

Despite flat sales in a declining market, the company has been reluctant to tamper with a formula that made VB the country's top-selling beer, with annual turnover of more than $1 billion, or 25 per cent of the market.

But CUB general manager of regular beer, Peter Sinclair, said 12 months of research had shown modern blokes are "far less rural and far more urban" and "far less blue-collar" than they used to be.

They also expect some humour in their beer ads.

Six new ads replace working-class shots of men sweating in fields with scenes that "take the piss" out of blokey moments in the life of the modern Aussie man.

From http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0...255E421,00.html

cheers

maybe spending the $12 million on malt, hops etc and improve the product might make people more inclined to drink it ;)

bonk said:
maybe spending the $12 million on malt, hops etc and improve the product might make people more inclined to drink it ;)
what??! and have all those advertising and marketing people out of a job!! CUB just wont stand for it.

never let a bad beer get in the way of a good comercial.
joe

My thoughts exactly bonk! :chug: Maybe more people are waking up to the fact that there are better beers out there, not that the ads are having less impact? We can only hope... :rolleyes:

If the big brewers managed to brew some good beers, so many more people would drink it. Most of my mates drink premixed spirits cos they cant drink beer very well.

i have seen the ads and they are pretty good actually. i like the one about the kebabs and garlic sauce.
basically the same style just taking the piss abit. shame about the beer though.

Back