Vb Champion Beer Of Show

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougsbrew

Beer Sloth
Reaction score
Did anyone see the full page advertisement in the courier mail on friday?
VB was awarded gold for best aussie lager and 'beer of the show' .
it was in the queensland food and wine comp and was the full strength version.
i ran over to the bottle shop to try and get my hands on one but fridge was full
of 4.6% version. will try another bottlo today.. heres linky to some info.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensl...f-1226517438628

While I'm not a VB fan, it would be interesting to try the 4.6% side by side with the 4.9%? version. To see what a difference it makes.

"big Deal" i won't be running out to buy any..William Bull Brewery on the other hand.Grand Champion trophy

VB is a very good example of an awful style.

AUSTRALIAN LAGER

Appearance: Very pale straw to pale gold colour. White head. Carbonation medium to high. Clarity good to
excellent.

Aroma: Little to no malt aroma. Hop aroma may range from low to none and may be flowery. Slight fruity
aromas from yeast and hop varieties used may exist. No diacetyl. Hint of mercaptan acceptable. Occasional urinal-like waft.

Flavour: Crisp and dry flavour with some low levels of sweetness. Hop flavour may range from low to medium. Hop bitterness low to medium. Balance can vary from slightly malty to slightly bitter, but is usually close to even. No diacetyl. No fruitiness. Finish tending dry. Like licking a donkey's vagina.

Mouthfeel: Low to low medium. Well carbonated. Slight carbonic bite on tongue is acceptable.
Overall Impression: Light, refreshing, disgusting and thirst quenching.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1040-1050
FG: 1004-1010
IBU: 10-20
ABV: 4.2-5.1%

Commercial Examples: Fosters Lager, Carlton Draught, XXXX, Yo Mama's Armpits and Tooheys New.

And there's me thinking I can wear my VB hat with pride :(

vb.jpg

While I'm not a VB fan, it would be interesting to try the 4.6% side by side with the 4.9%? version. To see what a difference it makes.

A friend and I did a blind tasting the other week just for shits n giggles.

There is a definite difference, in the fact the 4.9 tastes more watered down.

Did the same tried them both side by side you are doing well to pick the difference, maybe better head retention on the 4.9 and a tiny bit more body.

VB is a very good example of an awful style.

AUSTRALIAN LAGER

Appearance: Very pale straw to pale gold colour. White head. Carbonation medium to high. Clarity good to
excellent.

Aroma: Little to no malt aroma. Hop aroma may range from low to none and may be flowery. Slight fruity
aromas from yeast and hop varieties used may exist. No diacetyl. Hint of mercaptan acceptable. Occasional urinal-like waft.

Flavour: Crisp and dry flavour with some low levels of sweetness. Hop flavour may range from low to medium. Hop bitterness low to medium. Balance can vary from slightly malty to slightly bitter, but is usually close to even. No diacetyl. No fruitiness. Finish tending dry. Like licking a donkey's vagina.

Mouthfeel: Low to low medium. Well carbonated. Slight carbonic bite on tongue is acceptable.
Overall Impression: Light, refreshing, disgusting and thirst quenching.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1040-1050
FG: 1004-1010
IBU: 10-20
ABV: 4.2-5.1%

Commercial Examples: Fosters Lager, Carlton Draught, XXXX, Yo Mama's Armpits and Tooheys New.

Whilst that is very funny, i completely agree with the sentiments.

I get annoyed when people say "(insert generic megaswill name) is shit beer" etc..

It's not shit beer.
It's very good beer within the guidelines and the market that it's aimed at. It would take considerable brewing skillz to be able to repetitively churn out batch after batch of megaswill and having it always taste the same so that the throngs of drinkers keep drinking it.

Do i like megaswill? Absolutely not, but when you factor in who it's brewed for, the market that those beers control, and the repetitve consisten results they have to hit, it's a very well created product.

Watched the Budweiser special that was on TV last weekend, and the thing that struck me the most wasn't the equipment or process everything goes through, but the commitment to repetitve, consistant product. Amazing stuff.
But i wouldn't like drinking it.

I get annoyed when people say "(insert generic megaswill name) is shit beer" etc..

It's not shit beer.
It's very good beer within the guidelines and the market that it's aimed at. It would take considerable brewing skillz to be able to repetitively churn out batch after batch of megaswill and having it always taste the same so that the throngs of drinkers keep drinking it.

Do i like megaswill? Absolutely not, but when you factor in who it's brewed for, the market that those beers control, and the repetitve consisten results they have to hit, it's a very well created product.

Watched the Budweiser special that was on TV last weekend, and the thing that struck me the most wasn't the equipment or process everything goes through, but the commitment to repetitve, consistant product. Amazing stuff.

When people occasionally ask why I don't drink the usual suspects, I tell them those beers are the worst possible idea made to the highest possible standard.

I saw a bottle of crown ambassador lager at uncle dans today for $95

........... must be good!

I could think of a few nice Belgians for that price :icon_drool2:
But.. It is true to its style and has a large following

I reckon VB has quite a few faults. It's the worst Aussie Lager - there are much better ones - but these brands didn't pay the judges of the competition in a bid to resurect a dodo of a beer.

XXXX Bitter is the best Aussie Lager IMO for a few reasons: it uses a less-disgusting hop (cluster), it is less sewery than many carlton beers, it is unique in not using exactly the same ingredients as every other Aussie Lager, and it gives you a slightly smaller tumour in your arse if you drink it for 30 years.

The Premium Aussie Lager category is the funniest. I could wax lyrical about it but this picture says it best:

34f414b7b97129.jpg

I only added a couple of bits. The BJCP "missing styles" really does it justice with their use of all the "no" and "none" in the flavour/aroma descriptions.

Aussie Lagers are a style for people who don't really like tasting stuff (and the American Lagers too) but like being drunk and not being thought of as a poofta.

Realistically, Aussie Lagers are for people who don't actually like beer. Aussie Premium lagers are for people who don't like beer, and who are trying not to look poor.

**** knows what Corona drinkers are thinking.

The thing that struck me about that show was the brewers commitment and love for such a rubbish beer. Watching them taste it and going "yep I'm happy with that" crazy.

Four 4.6% VB cans disappeared down my throat last night while I cooled off in the pool. After 5 hours of cricket in that heat and humidity, I was hardly reaching for a hop bomb/Belgian/malty beer. VB and other megaswill on occasion are perfectly fine.

Back