VB 0%

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo 616

Reaction score
Hi guys, I a newby a friend & I love the taste of VB & we are both truckies. So with the way the laws are now we were wondering if it is possible to brew a beer that tastes live VB but is 0% or very close to?

Welcome to the forum. From a bit of digging online, there's two ways which you can create a alcohol free / very low alcohol beer
1) Brew as normal & heat to remove alcohol after completion, or
2) Brew with reduced ingredients + high mash temperature to create a lower OG and higher FG.

I made at a very low alcohol batch via method #2 late last year and had good success, came out at 0.9% - only issue was some grassy flavors from dry hopping for too long. For a 25L batch, I used about 1.5Kg of grains, using munich as a base and added rye, wheat, flaked wheat, flaked barley, carapils & crystal to give it a fully body despite the lower quantity of malt. Mashed at 73 for 20min then 75 for 20min to get an OG of 1014 and used a lager yeast strain to get to an FG of 1009. It feels almost like a normal beer, only the hopping of 10 IBU's was too much plus for the gravity the dry hopping Amarillo left things tasting soapy.

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back