Vaseline V's Keg Lube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used vaseline in the past, though I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't much good.

Keg lube will be silicone grease available from any pool shop. Vaseline is petroleum based and in theory could soften your 'O' rings but as I see it, 99% of O rings run in oil anyway. Having said that, when I ran out of silicone, I grabbed the vaseline a couple of years ago and have not noticed any problems.

Is that serious about KY being OK?

Not the flavoured stuff presumably, but I'd be happy to use it if the consensus was good...

ky is good but as we always stress buy a new one not a half used tube nothing worse than a "pube" in your beer.

and keep the wifes away from the keg spears

LoL :)
delboy

Wortgames said:
Is that serious about KY being OK?

Not the flavoured stuff presumably, but I'd be happy to use it if the consensus was good...
[post="85483"][/post]​

I've used it in the past on fermenter lid o-rings, but that's about all I've used it on.
What's good about it is that since I sanatise those o-rings each time the KY jelly is real easy to get off, as compared to proper keg lube.

Is KY water soluable hence does it mean you beer might pick up a certain flavour.

why do you lube your kegs up? i've never used anything. What is the benifit of doing this?

sluggerdog said:
why do you lube your kegs up? i've never used anything. What is the benifit of doing this?
[post="85598"][/post]​

Same here, never done it, please explain???

Dragging this thread out of the gutter and back on topic.

I was under the impression that vaseline was bad for rubber components as it is petrochemical based and can lead to deterioration of these rubber components.

Keg lube and KY jelly are non petroluem based and do not cause deterioration of the rubber components.

You want food grade non petroleum based grease. KY is a much cheaper option than keg lube. Easy to buy too as it is available in just about every supermarket and Chemist.

The o'ring on the keg post often needs a small amount of grease for lubrication, this makes the removal of the gas and air disconnects much easier.

sluggerdog said:
[post="85598"][/post]​

Most kegs are about 25cm in diameter - that's an awfully tight fit without any lube!

Alternatively it just makes fittings (like disconnects and lids) easier to fit and remove, and helps create a tight seal.

Take your pick... ;)

pint of lager said:
[snip]
The o'ring on the keg post often needs a small amount of grease for lubrication, this makes the removal of the gas and air disconnects much easier.
[post="85679"][/post]​

You betcha - I rebuilt a keg from the US the other day - the disconnects (especially the gas in one) was very stiff and hard to get on and off easily.

One smear of keg lube (from Northern Brewer) worked a treat - smooth as silk now!

Use water based, not petroleum based, lubricant...

Cheers,
TL

I used an aerosol can of cooking spray on my post orings

And over time you will get a horrid buildup of grease on the posts that is hard to remove without near boiling water and a detergent that probably wasn't meant to be used near kegs!

TL

Back