Vanilla?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruddager

Reaction score
I'm looking at making a "winter cider". Rekorderlig have one available that has cinnamon and vanilla, and I've used cinnamon before so I know that two teaspoons is all I need, but I've no idea how much vanilla to use, nor do I know whether to use extract or essence.

Anyone have any experience/advice with respect to adding vanilla?

search and ye shall find

there are more threads/posts on usage of vanilla in cider if you want to have a look/search around. IMO at least 2 pods in secondary

I'm looking at making a "winter cider". Rekorderlig have one available that has cinnamon and vanilla, and I've used cinnamon before so I know that two teaspoons is all I need, but I've no idea how much vanilla to use, nor do I know whether to use extract or essence.

Anyone have any experience/advice with respect to adding vanilla?
Avoid the essence and use beans or extract.
1 heaped teaspoon of extract is enough for me in a 20 litre batch, but may not be enough for you. I prefer vanilla to be very subtle, in the background.

You could leave the vanilla for bottling/kegging time and taste as you add small amounts at a time...

read this recipe

5 gal apple juice
2.5lb honey
1 packet Lavlin-1118
1 vanilla beans
1 American oak chips (med toast)

3-4 weeks in primary
rack to secondary and add oak chips
backsweeten then bottle 1/2 still 1/2 bottle carbed

Back