Vanilla, When To Add

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
I am looking to add some vanilla to my next batch but am unsure when is the best time to add it my brew.

I will be using whole beans and thinking of either putting the split bean into the mash..not sure if this will extract enough from the bean....
or to boil it in a litre of water and add directly to the fermenter, allowing for the litre in the mash volume.

Has anybody used vanilla in a brew and what results or suggestions do you have?

Next batch of what?

I've added 2 beans near the end of ferment and let it sit for 2 weeks. Both on a cider and a porter. The cider I could taste it. The porter....barely and after 2 - 3 months aging, not at all.

Next time I would use vanilla extract. The real stuff, not imitation of course.

Last years collaborative brew with Fourstar, CM2 and Maple saw us brew and imperial vanilla stout.

We used 1 fresh pod/20l of wort in the kettle, cube and fermenter.

We simply split the pods and scraped the seeds.

Came up with loads of vanilla flavour which really amped the choc profile. Yummo

split a couple of beans and soak as a tincture in white spirit, 100-200ml should be sufficient. soak for 1-2 weeks and add everything to the fermenter at terminal gravity. leave for 1 week minimum before bottling or kegging (alternatley add to a keg and remove the split beans once you're happy with the flavour).

I brewed a foreign extra type stout and threw a vanilla bean in the keg, the result was outstanding.

I recently brewed a choc vanilla (holgate temptress type) porter. I added 2 beans, cut open to the fermenter for a week and then put them in the keg with the rest of the beer. There was a hint of vanilla, however I would go for 3 beans next time. I guess if you try 2 now and see how you like it, then go with more later on.

I'm not sure about adding them to the mash or boil sorry.

Back