Vanilla Essence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting topic I had been thinking about using vanilla in a brown porter but was thinking about using the real thing rather then essence and wasn't sure how much to use. I suppose if I went down the essence track I'd have to use real extract/essence over imitation essence, I'm pretty sure you can getthe real stuff :unsure:
Edit Note: Didn't read Wolfy's post which basically answers my question before posting......oops

Get your hands on some Holgate Temptress, AFAIK this uses REAL vanilla beans in the boil. Awweeesome beer.

:icon_offtopic:

A 100ml bottle of Queen Vanilla Essence (almost pure alcohol, keep away from naked flames) was absolute heaven tipped into a McDonalds small vanilla thick shake and stirred till the consistency of Drambuie. Honestly it beats a lot of these fancy liqueurs hands down. However there were too many people doing it and they quadrupled the price. Used to be about $1.50 a hit, three and you were legless. :super:

IIRC there was a Bourbon essence called Old Mule or something like that. VERY high alcohol content, and had a warning on the bottle saying it wasn't suitable to drink, but to be used for cooking only. Needless to say when my friends and I were 16 this was drank alot. lol.

EDIT: Sorry, OT too... ;)

There are many sick puppies on this website without pointing my finger at anybody in particular...MitchDudarko & BribieG

lol you guys are cracking me up, obviously nobody bothered to tell petrol sniffers of this smoother richer sweeter alternative.

On a side note, after trying the various different vanilla essence, extract etc products, it seems that we prefer the artificial vanilla extract that was mentioned earlier in the thread, it seems to be 'smoother' (or something) than the various extracts made from actual vanilla beans.

I think the difference between "extract" and "essence" is that the extract is made from beans, and the essence is made from synthetic vanillin. The difference is definately visible in the price.

There are many sick puppies on this website without pointing my finger at anybody in particular...MitchDudarko & BribieG

lol you guys are cracking me up, obviously nobody bothered to tell petrol sniffers of this smoother richer sweeter alternative.

I was 16, working 40hrs a week stacking shelves at woolies for $240 a week. Necessity is the mother of invention lol. And when you're 16 you only care if it gets the job done, not how it tastes. :D

Latest posts

Back