Vanilla Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbeer

Reaction score
G'Day.

I have a little experiment running and I'd like some input.

I've dumped a couple of cans of coopers real ale into my fermenter, and have it underway with some yeast I've cultured out of coopers sparkling ale.
(yay for the cool change!)

I plan to put anoyher 500g of Light DME in during the secondary.

Quesiton is, where do add vanilla pods? In the secondary (and risk having the volatiles blown off during ferment) or during cold-conditioning?

I'm not sure if I'm going to bottle or keg this yet. (more than likely bottle, given the number of empties I have..)

I figure this is going to be one helluva bitter beer to begin with (from the 2x hopped conc. cans), and I'm hoping the vanilla and some maturation time will smooth it out a little.

Any suggestions on where I might inprove this? (given that I can't buy hops up here:( )

G'Day Danbeer,
I have not done anything with vanilla, however if you go to the Grumpys site and look under vanilla beer there are some informative posts with recipe links - beertool -

Cheers

danbeer said:
G'Day.

I have a little experiment running and I'd like some input.

I've dumped a couple of cans of coopers real ale into my fermenter, and have it underway with some yeast I've cultured out of coopers sparkling ale.
(yay for the cool change!)

I plan to put anoyher 500g of Light DME in during the secondary.

Quesiton is, where do add vanilla pods? In the secondary (and risk having the volatiles blown off during ferment) or during cold-conditioning?

I'm not sure if I'm going to bottle or keg this yet. (more than likely bottle, given the number of empties I have..)

I figure this is going to be one helluva bitter beer to begin with (from the 2x hopped conc. cans), and I'm hoping the vanilla and some maturation time will smooth it out a little.

Any suggestions on where I might inprove this? (given that I can't buy hops up here:( )
Not a good idea to put 500grams of LME into the secondary :eek: .The yeast may not have enough energy to ferment this out as it has already been hard at it, so the beer will end up sweet and sickly. All fermentables should be added at the beginning of the brewing process.
As for the Vanilla pods, these could go into the secondary or CC cube and leave for a week, maybe 2 to infuse the flavour.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

Back