Vale Neil Armstrong

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
The world has lost the ulitmate explorer. Neil Armstrong, first man to set foot on the moon has past away. A feat that was way ahead of it's time, achieved when people were driving cars with wirelesses and radial belt tyres and seat belts were optional.

-Browndog

Hear hear, his passing is terribly sad news however his legacy remains strong and so endures.
The first moon landing in which Neil Armstrong was very much at the pointy end made our universe a smaller place. While the astronauts were tremendously talented and drawn from the very lucky few, the program also took enormous risks with technology that was very much in its infancy, plus involved some engineering feats that stump us to this day, all of which was brought together by individual determination. Setting foot on the surface of the moon will remain inspirational for generations to come, due in no small part to pioneers such as Armstrong- he will be remembered for that one small step, however his unpretentious and humble nature belies quite extraordinary character and unparalleled achievement.

Not to take anything away from the man or his achievements, but the flip side of it being "a feat that was way ahead of it's time" is that in the last 40 years 'space exploration' has stalled and stagnated compared to all the other amazing 'great leaps for mankind' that have been made in entertainment, technology, medicine etc. What remains amazing is that they did it all the moon landings with computer systems that were less powerful than a modern pocket calculator (and probably my watch, MP3 player etc.).

Not to take anything away from the man or his achievements, but the flip side of it being "a feat that was way ahead of it's time" is that in the last 40 years 'space exploration' has stalled and stagnated compared to all the other amazing 'great leaps for mankind' that have been made
Not entirely true. We've dragged our metaphorical arses across Mars a couple times. No mean feat.

Regardless, how much more do you think it possible/worthwhile to achieve.

Far more interesting than his orbital achievements are his actions upon his return. Buzz Aldrin would do pretty much anything for a bit of attention afterwards. Integrity like Armstrong's is rarely seen.

hand on heart, tear in my eye - one of the few "famous" people who actually did something that makes me tremble in awe.

Vale indeed.

Sorry Wolfy, but to hear someone speak of the advances in entertainment possibly paralleling or eclipsing the 60's space program saddens me greatly...

Vale Neil.

Sorry Wolfy, but to hear someone speak of the advances in entertainment possibly paralleling or eclipsing the 60's space program saddens me greatly...

Vale Neil.
The point was not a comparison but rather a lament that since the spectacular moon landing, the space program - in general - has stagnated compared to the staggering advances in so many other scientific fields (science, technology/Internet, medicine).

Since I was equating the Internet to 'entertainment' it could easily be argued that in terms of day use, advantages and benefits to people all over the globe, that it's an integral part of most every business and many people's lives that 'computer/technology/Internet' advances have eclipsed the direct advantages/benefits - and advances since the moon landing - directly provided by the space program.

The point was not a comparison but rather a lament that since the spectacular moon landing, the space program - in general - has stagnated compared to the staggering advances in so many other scientific fields (science, technology/Internet, medicine).

Since I was equating the Internet to 'entertainment' it could easily be argued that in terms of day use, advantages and benefits to people all over the globe, that it's an integral part of most every business and many people's lives that 'computer/technology/Internet' advances have eclipsed the direct advantages/benefits - and advances since the moon landing - directly provided by the space program.

Fair argument, just thinking that there is a lot of focus these days on leisure investment...

Andy

Back