Vacuum when crashing solution

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Here is my solution on the vacuum you get into a fermentor when changing your beer temperature from ale temps to cold condition temps.
I want to crash chill my beer from say, 19c to 0c.
It will create vacuum. Which will, depending on your setup, either pull in Air, yes air, 21% 02. 87% nitrogen 1% other inert gasses which you just don't want in beer.
So I had a beer pump asperator laying around that I use with my beer engine.
The correct term for the device is a demand valve. Just like the one in a self contained breathing apparatus for fire fighting.
Anyway here is my dodgey vid on how it works and how easy a solution it is to stop that issue with suck back.
If anyone has great ideas on how to stop it, please post up.
There are some really great ideas out there. This is mine and it's easy. The part is a bit exybut under 100 bucks.

Screenshot_20180315-233644.png
Screenshot_20180315-233651.png
Screenshot_20180315-233634.png

I'm watching with great interest, it something I worry about

I am going to rig up something similar except using propane regulators.

Another advantage is that you can package up the beer over multiple days.

an aspirator and a demand valve are 2 different pieces of equipment with 2 different uses.
An aspirator works in the gas line and allows a small quantity of gas to flow into the keg at low pressure when the arm of the beer engine is pulled.
The demand valve works on the beer line and allows beer to flow to the beer engine when the arm is pulled.

This might be my fatigued night shift mind at work here... But couldnt you just hook up a co2 line from the reg straight to the fermenter and set it at a low pressure so as the vacuum was created, co2 was drawn in? I think I've seen something similar done on a fermentasaurus..

This might be my fatigued night shift mind at work here... But couldnt you just hook up a co2 line from the reg straight to the fermenter and set it at a low pressure so as the vacuum was created, co2 was drawn in? I think I've seen something similar done on a fermentasaurus..
On a vessel that's able to be pressurised it will work but on these chronicles itll leak out the lid seal and risk losing your gas.
It's not much pressure either. Actually my gauge doesn't even read that low. It's an old half smashed reg though so.

Most primary regulators are not good at holding very low pressure output - we are talking 1 psi or less, hence secondarily regulators and aspirators

So I'm crashing the IPA now. I can't work out how to add videos here for some reason it won't let me.
I'll update once crashed and see how this one goes.

Worked like a charm 2 times now. Will be my regular routine until I get a uni tank.

Sounds cool, I’ve been using collapsible bladders to capture CO2 from the end of fermentation and make this available to the fermentor during chilling. Interested in some more details on your process; did you get the YouTube vid sorted? Or can you link to parts used?
Cheers

why dont you just push in some co2 just before you crash to lift it a few PSI?

pressure fermenting solves these issues for me:)

Back