Vacuum pumps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not exactly a beer related question but still "home brew"....just wine related.

I have recently purchased a second hand "EnolMaster" vacuum filling unit and unfortunatley the vacuum pump in the unit seems to be dead.

I am wondering if anyone on AHB might have any tips/connections or general info regarding vacuum pumps as this site is always a mix of good help.

The pump has the following specs;

- Mefar - Compressor-Vacuum
- Model - CP30
- Voltage 220/240v
- Hz 50/60
- Watt 90/100
- No firi 2800/1
- Vacuum 640mmHg
- Flusso 21 L/1

Any help would be great.

Cheers, Pok

Doesn't seem like a particularly powerful pump. You could replace it with something like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251174583128

The 21 litres per minute would be the main specification, since your required pressure isn't going to be a lot.

How come you want to use vacuum for filling, are there particular advantages for you?

Hi dent,

Thanks for your help.

The advantage of vacuum filling is that it means there is little to no contact between air/oxygen aswell as the pump itself with the liquid (wine). This should lead to a "soft" process of filling.

Do you work with vacuum pumps frequently?

If possible I would like to replace with the same pump, or repair the pump I have...purely in knowing it will work the way it should and not have to modify anything. However if you have some solid tips then I am all ears.

The pump you have linked to is 12v....A 240v replacement would be probably a better option...

Cheers, Pok

So I ended up striking some luck.

Found a supplier in Sweden...contacted them....and they sent it to me....for free, postage included!! Legend.

The only downside, ended up with a 12v version but I am willing to modifiy the power supply to 12v given the legend of a guy in Sweden was willing to send it over here for me for nothing.

Some people in this world are awesome, this guy was one of them

Pok

That's a huge win, send him a bottle of your wine.

That was my plan but sending wine to sweden seems not as easy as hoped. I have a friend who lives over there so might be able to get her to help me out.

Now I just need to get a 12v power supply.

You should be able to pick one up pretty cheap on ebay.

So i finally got my hands on power supply etc and went to test the pump tonight....seems my 12v 1Amp power supply is not quite doing its job. According to my multimeter it is not even putting out 1v.

Any tips on a reliable 12v power supply?

Cheers, Pok

Check on AC/DC power supply
Maybe use a battery charger to charge a car battery or larger and take supply off this
Or buy a 240V to 12 V power supply with terminals on it or a cigarette plug
Or a jumpstart pack

Dick Smith have 12 volt 2a power supplies for $20 odd (or did a year or so back)

Can't see them on the site, but worth a trip. They are a black box type not your little wall wart style. Definately 2 amp i run my bilge pumps for water recirculation on them.

Back