Vacuum Food Sealer (cryovac)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
I am wanting to buy a Vacuum Food Sealer for storing hops but would like to know what you recommend.

I have been told THIS one on Ebay may be a good buy and will do the trick.

What do you use and can you recommend anything?
I understand you get what you pay for but I am obviously trying to find a good cheap one that will do the job I am after.

Cheers
AF

Looks okay to me, separate seal functionality is worth having. With the sunbeam I have to go through a full vacuum cycle just to add a seal. That's four full vacuum cycles to make a double sealed bag

I'd look at getting one with "ports" on it that u can connect hose to, then u connect the hose to a specially designed bottle stopper or jar that has a hose connector on it. Then u can vacuum seal the bottle or jar, VERY handy if u can't/don't want to seal in bags. The storage jars & bottle stoppers should come with the unit as a package. U can usually buy seperate containers/stoppers if u need extras.

I understand you get what you pay for but I am obviously trying to find a good cheap one that will do the job I am after.

That didnt take long AF... been thinking of this over the weekend too, will follow this topic with interest :ph34r:

Yob

Looks okay to me, separate seal functionality is worth having. With the sunbeam I have to go through a full vacuum cycle just to add a seal. That's four full vacuum cycles to make a double sealed bag

My sunbeam just seals on its own if I want it to, but mine was a gift - the big shiny faux steel one. I've used a friends maxkon (or something similar on ebay) one and it does the job perfectly well also.

The Maxkon ones on ebay get a good rap by a few people here. $60 delivered is pretty good for a vacuum sealer. Never used one myself.

I have a DZ300A which used to be sold by www.thepackagingcentre.com.au but is now stocked by sealandpack. I got mine on special for around $130 I think. If I had to buy another, I'd probably try a Maxkon, as the price looks so good.

Whatever you buy, check out the packagingcentre for bags, as they seem to be far cheaper.

Also check out this thread...

Yeah I got a Maxkon one and it does a great job.

The Maxkon ones on ebay get a good rap by a few people here. $60 delivered is pretty good for a vacuum sealer. Never used one myself.

I have a DZ300A which used to be sold by www.thepackagingcentre.com.au but is now stocked by sealandpack. I got mine on special for around $130 I think. If I had to buy another, I'd probably try a Maxkon, as the price looks so good.

Whatever you buy, check out the packagingcentre for bags, as they seem to be far cheaper.

Also check out this thread...

I have the one shown in the packaging centre link above and us the foil bags you can buy through them for packing 1kg hops into 100gm bags before chucking into freezer. Works a charm.

I have the one shown in the packaging centre link above and us the foil bags you can buy through them for packing 1kg hops into 100gm bags before chucking into freezer. Works a charm.

Hey John,

I find that about 10% of the time, the clear plastic bags lose vacuum - do you find that it's better with the foil bags? (i.e. less leaks)

That didnt take long AF... been thinking of this over the weekend too, will follow this topic with interest :ph34r:

Yob
lol yeah mate, my birthday is just around the corner so I thought I might start spreading the word :icon_cheers:

A woman i work with has one of these and loves it.
http://www.crazysales.com.au/maxkon-vacuum...-bag-rolls.html

Thanks for the link. That one looks good value as it appears most here recommend the Maxkon.

Hey John,

I find that about 10% of the time, the clear plastic bags lose vacuum - do you find that it's better with the foil bags? (i.e. less leaks)

If your bags are vacuum sealed and you are losing vacuum then it sounds like something is faulty there. I would think that a product should do what it is intended to without a % of being faulty.

I have a sealandpack one from ebay, it's great but is a little broken ATM. But the seller is great and I'll be shipping it back to him so he can fix it.

If your bags are vacuum sealed and you are losing vacuum then it sounds like something is faulty there. I would think that a product should do what it is intended to without a % of being faulty.

It's generally because the plastic bags aren't sitting flat when you close the seal lid. Any small wrinkle in the plastic and when the heat selaer seals the bag, it can create a small leak in the bag. I'm sure any of the sealers have similar sorts of issues. Doesn't happen that often - 10% might have been an exaggeration. More prone to happen when I an rushing or when I have a lot of bagging to do (like 5kg of hops in 100g bags or something). I just thought that the foil bags might have a bit more rigidity, so it might not be such a problem.

The Maxkon are great for the price.
I have had mine almost 3 years still going strong. It gets used more for other things around the kitchen than hops.

Wow am I the only one with a sunbeam vacuum sealer? I recommend the sunbeam which is $120 at big W but if the maxkon ones are fine then you may as well save a few bucks. I was just turned off the maxkon brand due to our last vacuum which only lasted about 3 months (which was a maxkon). I also seal small amounts of speciality grains but just make sure get better quality bags if sealing larger amounts of anything as they seem to leek with some of the cheap ebay rolls.

If get any liquid into them, prob more so with the cheaper ones, they will shit themselves.
My mum did it with a sunbeam she had had for 2 weeks...no good, lucky the big chain dept stores usually just swap no questions.

If i am doing something that has any moisture content at all, i fold up a piece of paper towel and put that inside the bag between contents and the end of the bag.

My daughter has the above model of sealer

2jcema.jpg

+1 for the Maxkon. Haven't had it long, but it's working great so far. If you go another way, make sure you can get bags / rolls for a reasonable price.

Back