Vac Sealer - Repair

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
My trusty vac sealer decided to no longer vac, just seal. It made all the correct noises, but no suction.

When I opened it up to see the cause what was the first thing I see?

An awesome earth circuit.
03032012915.jpg
It does not appear to have come of from anywhere, this looks like how it was designed!

A clean out of the non-return valves in the diaphragm pumps and the sponge filter in the intake, and all is as good as new.

QldKev

Do not use with wet hands as it may decide to earth via you instead.

Do not use with wet hands as it may decide to earth via you instead.

That's what I'm worried about. I though in Australia it was a regulation, if it was not earthed it must be double insulated. This seems to be neither?

My trusty vac sealer decided to no longer vac, just seal. It made all the correct noises, but no suction.

View attachment 52823
It does not appear to have come of from anywhere, this looks like how it was designed!

A clean out of the non-return valves in the diaphragm pumps and the sponge filter in the intake, and all is as good as new.

QldKev
What brand was it Kev??

What brand was it Kev??

I got it from The Packaging Centre, TPC320V... I believe it's a rebadged DZ300a, but I may be wrong.

So it's not like I purchased one from overseas and imported it myself, it was sold from an Australian outlet.

QldKev

I got it from The Packaging Centre, TPC320V

So it's not like I purchased one from overseas and imported it myself, it was sold from an Australian outlet.

QldKev
those foam rubber seals often go bad. Or are you saying the vacuum motor isn't working?

If so look near the power cord leads, there should be a small in-line thermal fuse leading to the motor circuit, rated around 10A 250v. These aren't supposed to be replaceable but they are. The fuse might be under a tube of heat shrink or clear vinyl insulation tube. It may be a crimp connection

These go bad. To test you need to open one side and meter across. or jumper around...don't just bypass permanently.

thermalfuse.JPG

those foam rubber seals often go bad. Or are you saying the vacuum motor isn't working?

If so look near the power cord leads, there should be a small in-line thermal fuse leading to the motor circuit, rated around 10A 250v. These aren't supposed to be replaceable but they are. The fuse might be under a tube of heat shrink or clear vinyl insulation tube. It may be a crimp connection

These go bad. To test you need to open one side and meter across. or jumper around...don't just bypass permanently.

From the original post A clean out of the non-return valves in the diaphragm pumps and the sponge filter in the intake, and all is as good as new.

Thanks for the ideas and showing me those things are fusible links, but all is working again

QldKev

Who would have guessed plastic was going to save your life as an earth!

QLDKev

If you are concerned look for a lable somewhere that has a picture of a square inside a square. If it dosn't have this you are right in saying it needs to be earthed. Bit hard to earth plastic however so I dare say it is double insulated.

QLDKev

If you are concerned look for a lable somewhere that has a picture of a square inside a square. If it dosn't have this you are right in saying it needs to be earthed. Bit hard to earth plastic however so I dare say it is double insulated.

It does have the double insulated / Class II logo on a sticker underneath

To conform This is usually achieved at least in part by having two layers of insulating material surrounding live parts or by using reinforced insulation.

But in this case live 240v is on the circuit board with only the single layer outer plastic casing.

QldKev

I would understand if this was just a $40 ebay one, but it was sold by an Australian supplier as a quality unit. I would hate to imagine how long this would last in an industrial site when you think how much packaging they would do compared to my vac sealing just for the household.

At least the companies bags are cheap enough :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back