Vac Bag Wort Hopping.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotmelt

Reaction score
Thought I'd try a different method of adding hops when no chilling. I usually just add all late hops to the cube and dry hop. I haven't tried a reboil or making a hop tea so maybe this will work also.All I've done is take some of the wort 15mins after whirlpool and put them in a vacuum bag with the hops sealed the bag and chilled it in the sink.The rest of the wort has been no chilled as usual and when ready to ferment I'll add the yeast and the bag.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
1.5lt wort poured into bag sat in lunchbox hops added and sealed.

4.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg
40 grams of hops.

6.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg
cooling in sink. rest of wort.

Is that plastic safe at high temps?

You will get lower utilisation with such a small amount of liquid, but it will work to a certain degree.

Let us know how it works for you.

Nice cube squeezer/tilter. Was trying to visualise how to build one the other day at work.

Yep Spisey they are used for Sous Vide cooking all the time. I have not taken one past 70c but that's because I haven't found a sous vide recipe that needs anything at that temp.

Well it's been over a week since I made this so it's had plenty of time to absorb the plasticky goodness if there is any.I finally got round to fermenting this yesterday and to continue the vac bag theme I thought I'd rehydrate the yeast (which I don't normally bother with)in a bag.
So I added some cooled boiled water to a bag then added the yeast sealed it up then sat it in a pan of 25c water.
P4260102.JPG P4260104.JPG
Half an hour later a bit frothy.
P4260106.JPG P4260108.JPG
Next I opened the jerry and had to take out some wort so I could add the hops and yeast,was supposed to get 21L at 1.047 before taking 1.5l out but it's more like 22L+1.5L.
Anyhow I'll freeze the extra wort and use it in another batch.
P4260109.JPG

Spiesy
Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:51 PM
Is that plastic safe at high temps?

I have had veg cooked sous vide at 80-85c and couldn't taste any plastic.

Latest posts

Back