Uxcell Elements...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
I guess this is a continuation from here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...3974&st=200 however the dicussion has degraded somewhat, and these are not the same as the original intention of the post.

I ordered two of the uxcell elements, a 3kw and a 2.5 kw element. Ebay links, as the UXcell website is currently unavailbe for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-3KW-12mm-B...=item35bcc36a45
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-2-5KW-Powe...=item25716992e7

I got my order the other day and I received the the 3kw version shown below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-El...=item4ab87d888b

I've emailed them, and waiting for a response.

Anyway. The 3kw u shape element looks like a beast. I'll get pictures up later, but it looks like a very solid unit. A bit longer than I imaginined it would be, but I think it will fit.

Interestingly the circular element mounts in a 32mm hole, so could be an option for those wishing to change over from a keg king element.

Who else is using these elements, and have you found any issues with them so far?

I've got 3 x 2kw u-shape Uxcell elements in my kettle. So far I love them. Easy to mount and I've had no issues at all (no melting wires, no rust). They clean off pretty easily after a batch. For a bit over $20 a pop ($8 plus $12 diecast box plus $2 cord) I think they are the best option at the moment. If they did a 2.4kw in the u-shape it would be even better.

Sorry about the pic, it makes it look really grubby.

The outer 2 elements are from UXcell direct they have s/s bushes and are 260mm long into the kettle (the keg king are 290mm for comparison)
The inside one is from ebay (same seller) has brass bushes and is 275mm long.

Yes I have bent the 2 outer ones away from the centre on so they don't touch, another benefit of these.

elements.jpg

QldKev

Clueless,
I'll be very interested in your experiences with the '3KW 12mm Bar U Shape Stainless Steel Element' as I have one in my Ebay Watch List but haven't ordered it yet.

Any chance of some close-up pics of the mounting arrangement and dimensions of the larger threads? It looks like it comes with isolating washers?

Thanks in advance! :beer:

Clueless,
I'll be very interested in your experiences with the '3KW 12mm Bar U Shape Stainless Steel Element' as I have one in my Ebay Watch List but haven't ordered it yet.

Any chance of some close-up pics of the mounting arrangement and dimensions of the larger threads? It looks like it comes with isolating washers?

Thanks in advance! :beer:
Yep Should be able to do that, but wont be able to do so until tonight.

Have a look at this post

Yes, it comes with silicone washers and also isolating spacers for mounting. You need 2 x 16mm holes to mount them.

Note, with my other 2 elements we have mounted the power cord into the side of the die-cast enclosure.

Thats a good pic, shows how it would be mounted up with the seals etc

and also this one showing the cord from the side. :)

Hey can you tell me the vertical distance between the holes on these?

I was unable to to get on the uxcell site myself, I like the look of the 2500 watt round one, just a little worried about power density and scorching wort, once setup I'd like the option to step mash. Low density elements are the go, just not enough info on these. :huh:

50mm centres

I used one of these diecast enclosures to mount it (strange my local is a lot cheaper than the internet price)
Thanks,

Could you provide a quick parts list? I'm assuming you got most of it from jaycar.

(I wont be doing this myself, my uncle is an electrician)

Thanks,

Could you provide a quick parts list? I'm assuming you got most of it from jaycar.

(I wont be doing this myself, my uncle is an electrician)

Keeping a pic of this in your mind

element
** u-shape from uxcell **

Diecast enclosure
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...mp;form=KEYWORD

Cable gland (need to check size of the cord but I think this was the one that fitted cords nicely, mine are the next size up as that was what was in the electrical toy box at the time)

3 x Eye terminals (aka crimps) (assume your electrician will have 100 crimps spare)

Small nut and bolt to suit eye terminal to bolt earth to enclosure.

Silicone to ensure enclosure sits square, otherwise my electrician just used plastic ties as fill and cut the end of it. Refer 3rd pic here about what I mean

Keeping a pic of this in your mind

element
** u-shape from uxcell **

Diecast enclosure

Cable gland (need to check size of the cord but I think this was the one that fitted cords nicely, mine are the next size up as that was what was in the electrical toy box at the time)

3 x Eye terminals (aka crimps) (assume your electrician will have 100 crimps spare)

Small nut and bolt to suit eye terminal to bolt earth to enclosure.

Silicone to ensure enclosure sits square, otherwise my electrician just used plastic ties as fill and cut the end of it. Refer 3rd pic here about what I mean

Cheers! I'm thinking I'll go ahead with this, seems like a cheap and easy way. Not sure about the 16mm holes but I'll see how I go with the old step drill.

Thanks again.

I was unable to to get on the uxcell site myself, I like the look of the 2500 watt round one, just a little worried about power density and scorching wort, once setup I'd like the option to step mash. Low density elements are the go, just not enough info on these. :huh:
I think you'll find if you measure the total tube length, and compare it to the U shaped one, you'd be pretty close.

Having said that the u shaped one was 2200w if I remember correctly.... the round is 2500w

On another note. I'm debating what type of plug to put on my 3000w element. 3000w equates to about 12 amp. so realy I should put a 15amp plug on it, however i'm wondering if there will be any issue if it's run on a regualr 10amp gpo, that is on it's own circuit. I wouldnt expect there to be, especially given the breaker I have is 16amp, and using 2.5mm tps

Does my logic seem sound?

WOW. Got to love dealing with English as a second language companies!

The replied to me stating that I should check my order, and that I ordered two elements one of them being a 3kw. Basicaly they told me that I was wrong and they supplied what I asked for...

LOL

I double checked the cofirmation email I got, and it was definitely one of each! Paypal claim here I come.... :(

Arvo guys.
Wish this topic was here last night. I've just bought 3 of the round 2.5kW elements (2 for braumeister clone and 1 for HLT or spare) because they worked out the best for my Braubushka style braumeister ie elements go under the malt pipe so you don't have to clamp the whole thing down. Both options will work, but as I'm mounting the whole system in a purpose built bench I thought I'd put the electrics underneath where they're hidden away. I have some concerns with scorching the wort so I'm going to make sure there is some gap between the coils and if that doesn't work, buy an extra 2 so that I can run them as 2+2 in parallel and quadruple the surface area (hence the four elements in the image). This should give me a 2.5kW system which mightn't be enough for 40L batches so may buy the 3 or 4kW options to lift the overall wattage. A long way off of starting the build, but you can see how they fit in a 50L pot (40cm) with the 19L Big W pot in the middle.

Cheers,

Sam

Element_Concept.jpg

On another note. I'm debating what type of plug to put on my 3000w element. 3000w equates to about 12 amp. so realy I should put a 15amp plug on it, however i'm wondering if there will be any issue if it's run on a regualr 10amp gpo, that is on it's own circuit. I wouldnt expect there to be, especially given the breaker I have is 16amp, and using 2.5mm tps

Does my logic seem sound?

You'll be fine from a house wiring and breaker point of view - however the actual GPO will only be rated to 10A. A 10A rated fitting probably isn't going to have problems at 12Amps - but do you really want to risk it? The probability might be low, but what happens if something does go wrong and it burns down your house and kills your family.

You'll be fine from a house wiring and breaker point of view - however the actual GPO will only be rated to 10A. A 10A rated fitting probably isn't going to have problems at 12Amps - but do you really want to risk it? The probability might be low, but what happens if something does go wrong and it burns down your house and kills your family.
I hear you.

Having said that though, I brew in my shed, and that's far enough away that if a fire there spreads to the house, we got bigger problems! :)

I have 15 amp outlets in there, so that isnt the issue, it was just a matter of I dont have any 15a plugtops, so have to get my ass down to buy one...

Back