Uv Sterilisers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I have heard that some people run thier tank water through U V light sterilisers ( used in Aqua culture) to reduce any infection is there any advantage to this considering the water is boiled .??

pumpy

Pumpy said:
I have heard that some people run thier tank water through U V light sterilisers ( used in Aqua culture) to reduce any infection is there any advantage to this considering the water is boiled .??

pumpy
Well, boiling doesn't destroy spores as they can survive to temperatures well over 100C. UV light should kill any spores in the water. Having said that, if you brew a batch of beer that becomes infected due to the presence of spores that survive the boiling process, I reckon you would have to be very unlucky.

I read somewhere that the use of UV light generally does not kill the organism in question, but it somehow disruts the critters DNA and prevents them from multiplying..... which is as good as killing it for my money.

dreamboat

Latest posts

Back