Utilising an aspirator/venturi effect for inline wort aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zappa

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using an aspirator for inline wort aeration? Something like this.

I currently use one of the bernzomatic oxygen tanks with air stone to inject pure oxygen, but find it's a PITA for a few reasons ;

1. Another thing to sanitise, often at the last minute.
2. Difficult to clean properly without damaging the air stone.

And apparently it's easy to over oxygenate when not using a flow meter (according to some experiments documented in Zymurgy May/June 2014).

I'd be interested to see some measured results using the aspirator method. I suspect it is more than adequate, extremely cheap to build and best of all, hassle free. Oxygenate on the way from kettle to fermenter. Job done.

Thoughts?

Mr Wizard in BYO a few months ago said that is all he used in his Homebrew setup.

I create a venturi in my line from kettle to fermenter, i realise it's only getting the oxygen from the air we breathe and not 100% Oxygen like from a bottle and stone. But it does the trick, can normally regulate how much its sucking also.

I cant come to the thought of having to own and fill an 02 bottle, having a CO2 bottle is bad enough hassle.

FWIW, if you decide to stick with oxygen, I use an airstone method which as I recall is Dr. Smurto's. I can't find the link but here's how I do it:

Store your oxygen line and airstone in Starsan (remember to change it every month or so). When you're oxygenating your wort set up a container of water. Drain Starsan from tube before using and connect it to the gas cylinder. With the stone in the Starsan turn on the oxygen. With the oxygen still on, move it into your wort and oxygenate. Oxygen still running take the stone out of the wort, rinse it in the container of water, and return the stone to the Starsan. Turn off the oxygen. You never have to touch the stone or clean it and it's always sanitary.

Well, I actually went with the cheap option lael posted. Whilst I don't have any way to measure dissolved O2, it's certainly effective. Achieved my goal with this one. Still have a full O2 bottle though, so may use the method Mardoo posted for stronger beers. I like it!

Great to hear! Just ordered one on your good report lol. What was your aim by the way?

Basically just to make it part of the process. Wort gets oxygenated on the way to the fermenter, as it comes out of the chiller. No need for an additional step to aerate. Into the fermenter at 14-16 degrees, pitch yeast, glad wrap, refrigerate.

zappa said:
Basically just to make it part of the process. Wort gets oxygenated on the way to the fermenter, as it comes out of the chiller. No need for an additional step to aerate. Into the fermenter at 14-16 degrees, pitch yeast, glad wrap, refrigerate.
what sort of chiller do you use. 14-16deg is far better than ive ever achieved

Just 2 plate chillers. Hose on first, recirculate a cube of ice water through the 2nd with a little brown pump. Got the idea from nathan_madness btw. Works a treat.

danestead said:
what sort of chiller do you use. 14-16deg is far better than ive ever achieved
Also keen to know I use a cfc but never got close to those temps ,but I dont use a pre chiller either

Edit you beat me to it(must have been all speeling mistakes slowing me down ;) ) plus half my post is missing.nvr mind

zappa said:
Just 2 plate chillers. Hose on first, recirculate a cube of ice water through the 2nd with a little brown pump. Got the idea from nathan_madness btw. Works a treat.
I keep meaning to fill a fermenter with water and chill it to near zero in my fermenting fridge the day b4 brewing and use that through my cfc but I keep forgetting! Sounds like it works a treat. Ill be doing that on my next lager for sure

Back