Using Used Wine Bottles For Brew.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty McFly

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering, is it okay to use old wine bottles to put your brew in? I'm running low on plastic bottles but have tons of screw cap wine bottles left over.

Is there any disadvantages there that I'm not seeing?

That doesn't come up in the Urban Dictionary.

If you are referring to bottle bombs, bleeding and scarring and severe damage to a small apartment, I'd tend to agree. ;)

It does come up in one of the many AHB threads.

Oh hang on, that one has been deleted, so no luck.

Anyway, to answer OP's question: I wouldn't. Wine is an uncarbonated beverage, so i wouldn't expect wine bottles to withstand the pressure you're putting on them by filling them with carbonated beer.

You can use champagne/sparkling bottles but not wine bottles.

Aha got it.

If you are short of bottles, PET 1.25 litre soft drink bottles make good home brew containers, but keep them out of the light to avoid skunking of the beer. Less than half the price of buying Coopers type bottles and 1.25L is a good quaffing size.

Really? Awh, and here I was thinking I was so clever for hoarding about 30 wine bottles.

What if I were to just fill them half way?

In the best case you'll end up with flat and oxydised beer.

They'll be perfect for when you get around to making your first JAO mead, though.

Although 750ml wine bottles are probably a little big for a 12-13% mead, unless you like to really rock the party.

most home brew stores will have 5 litre glass demijohns, give your local one a call and they will tell you if they do or not.

(edit: beaten by wb)

I think costante imports and cellarplus sell demijohns as well.

As does Greensborough HB and Keg King.
All your bases covered.

15 PET 750ml bottles $13.86 last time I checked at Big W

thanks for the HU. I'll need a few boxes for the comps season, heading in there tomorrow.

WarmBeer said:
They'll be perfect for when you get around to making your first JAO mead, though.

Although 750ml wine bottles are probably a little big for a 12-13% mead, unless you like to really rock the party.
girls blouse. My mead was in keg and thwn 750ml bottles.

To marty. Id u doubt anything search wine bottle. Search button is your friend. I have nfi what a 5L jug is. But glass in 5L is expensive. I have a 5L flask and barely use it. Ill sell it to u if u want. I experiment in 21L batches now. Dont bottle in non pressure glass youllndkn kill somwone.

Latest posts

Back