Using Temperature Controllers - gaps with cables through fridge seal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering when you put the probe and I assume cable for heat belt or fan when you close the door how does this effect the seal, proably dumb question but I just thought I would ask? :) Is there much of a gap created? thanks

Yep, I don't worry about it. I do try to position it closer to the hinge side of the door though as I figure there is a bit more pressure on the seals there and so a smaller gap. Sometimes for the heat pad cable I will slide the heat pad in between the fridge and the door so the cable actually is at the side of the door rather than the top. Same reason.

Gaps are nothing for one cable, just when you start getting lotsa cables or thicker cables, you might have some issues, but really, you're not using it as a fridge, you're keeping it at like 18 degrees, it doesn't need to work hard to do that.

When i used a temp controller instead of a busted thermostat for a fridge. I ramped either side of the probe cable with blue tac then put some tape over it. Worked great as there was no gap at all.

I've used 2-pair phone cable on my temperature sensors, it sits fairly flat between the seal and the fridge.

If you're particularly worried about it, some fridges have a pre-made hole for the cable between the compressor and the thermostat that you might be able to use.

Latest posts

Back