Using Tank Safe as a sanitizer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigvarls

Reaction score
I use the Tanksafe product in my rainwater tank and compared it to my no rinse steriliser (morgans). Same ingredients, hydrogen peroxide and silver nitrate. Possibly different concentrations... Anyone tried it before?
ef1a9c4f2f19b1ff0862293081c52461.jpg

Last edited:
are you really going to wait 24 hours to ferment after it.

Ha ha, that contact time is for a huge qty of water at a very small ppm. For a FV the ppm would be much higher so the contact time would be the same as normal no rinse sanitisers.... At least i think so.

Last edited:
Took just a bit of looking
Tanksafe.JPG

Most of the Home Brew proprietary products are around the 3-4% Peroxide, so somewhere around half what you use of those should put you in the ballpark.
If I had it I would probably use it, I do like the idea of the test strips, at least you can tell if you stock has broken down and isn't effective any more.
If you aren't familiar with the < symbol, it means that the AgNO3 content is less than 0.1%, I just wish they would say how much less.
Mark

What you would need to know is the strength of that product so it can be diluted to the correct concentration. If it's hydrogen peroxide and silver ions (which is the stabilizer) it should be fine.

Maybe just check if there are any other ingredients besides the active ones listed. You may like to know if there's anything else in there...

Thanks guys, ill have a close look at the MSDS when i find it to see if there is anything else contained in it that might be cause for alarm, but i doubt there will be.

the AgNO3 content is less than 0.1%, I just wish they would say how much less.

Mark

We can probably assume that the relative proportions are those established by Hungerbach who developed the idea of using silver / peroxide sanitisers. If so the peroxide to silver ratio will be about 4000 : 3 so there will be about 60 ppm silver in that solution.

This is also similar to the proportions between these additives when specified as maxima under 21 CFR 172.167 for drinking water treatment (23 ppm H2O2 and 17 ppb Ag) and to the rates used in the paper quoted below.

Last edited:
What you would need to know is the strength of that product so it can be diluted to the correct concentration. If it's hydrogen peroxide and silver ions (which is the stabilizer) it should be fine.

The silver can also augment the biocidal activity of the peroxide, it can reduce the minimum inhibitory concentration by around 30%. The probable mechanism involves the silver binding to catalase, the enzyme microorganisms use to deactivate peroxide.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, ill have a close look at the MSDS when i find it to see if there is anything else contained in it that might be cause for alarm, but i doubt there will be.

Agreed, doubt there's anything else it's probably just sterilised water (filtered/ autoclaved/ irradiated/ pastuerised - whatever) + actives.

But .. wouldn't hurt to ask if there are any inactive ingredients not listed. For peace of mind.

The term "up to" is a bugbear of mine in reports etc.

e.g. Product X improved factor Z "up to" YY percent . .. .what does that mean exactly? YY percent when, for how long, under what conditions? What happened for the rest of the time?

"by around" - is somewhat of an improvement.

^Yes, that report looks sound.

Apologies I was speaking generally.

By the by, I acquired an SDS for tank safe .. in which hydrogen peroxide (only) was listed.

Silver nitrate (or anything else) was not listed in the SDS. I sent a query .. .

Hi Guys, just following up on this.

After receiving an incomplete SDS from the company - they responded to my query by saying yes, silver nitrate was also present, but did not not go on to provide a full list of ingredients.

On that basis, ... I'd give it a miss.

Back