Using T-58 For The Frist Time. Which Style?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobB

Reaction score
T-58 seems to be a love it or hate it yeast, but I wont know which side of the fence Im on until I use it myself. I would like to brew a simple 5%-ish beer and I am wondering if this yeast would be more suited to a Belgian pale ale or a lower gravity blonde?

Using the ingredients I have on hand, the recipes would be approximately:

BPA
80% Pils
15% Munich 1
5% CaraAmber
1.050 and 25 IBU

Blonde
80% Pils
10% Wheat
10% Sugar
1.050 and 20 IBU

In each case the bitterness would come from a single addition of Tettnang (or maybe some EKG if Ive got some left) and I intend to pitch at around 18 degrees and let the yeast bring the temperature up to 22 or 24.

Any thoughts on either of these or which style would best suit the yeast?

I've only used it once (a 6 weeks ago) on a Dubbel, the only thing I will say is watch your temp, this yeast chewed through a 1.070 in not time, and the temp needed a lot of work to keep below 24. So pssbly pitch low 18 then rise to 24 over 4 days (assuming you have temp control).

I've been using this yeast lately in my blonde ales and really like it. Not really what I would call a Belgian blonde but tastey. I've been using mainly pils , some with up to 20% vienna and some with 20% rye. Bittered to around 27IBUs, with nobles hops. I try to keep temp to 18*C. dont know how it goes above this

I would also add to the chorus of really watching your temp with this yeast. I've always tried to keep the temp around the 18C mark, 20 tops.
I think it is a good yeast for many belgian styles, with some nice spicey characters, but it can get out of control.
I've known a couple of brewers who ended up with what they felt was out of control spice characters and swore off it, but I've tasted some really nice belgians made with this yeast, dubbels and tripels and others. It may lack a little overall complexity compared with the best belgians liquids but I think it is a good yeast in its own right for higher gravity beers particularly.

Another happy user of t-58 here. I've used it in Belgian dubbel type beers and have enjoyed the results-was similar to Leffe brun. I ran it at 18 in my fridge.

Back