Using Saaz Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labels

Reaction score
I made a beer using Saaz hops, to about 14ibu's a low hopped beer.

When tasting time came - No Hops, not bitter, not anything.

To try and fix this this I boiled 100g of Saaz hops in some beer for 20 minutes. Oh, I've been told don't boil hops in water it can pull out astringent vegetal compounds.

Anyway, I added the resulting liquid to two kegs. Still, I get just a mere hint hops. I am now under the impression to get anything out of these low alpha hops you have add to them by the bucket load to get anywhere.

Anyone know where I can buy these by the kilo at a cheap price?

Steve

14 ibu's is bugger all. I wouldn't expect much bitterness at all. How many additions?, how long?, gravity of wort?

Depends how you define cheap but I have bought fresh CZ saaz from Hops direct. I also buy bulk hops (usually 500g which is their minimum order) from ellerslie hop. Not sure what postage would add to Adelaide but probably not loads.

Also try brewadelaide - I am presuming Nige does bulk hops and being online only, costs should be cheaper. He certainly gets a good rap from the locals that use his store and you should get them within a day or so of ordering (again, I'm going on his rep rather than personal dealings with him).

Craftbrewer have T45 Cz Saaz for the same price as other hops. 6% AA - goes twice as far.

You get a better flavour and aroma too as the "stalks" aren't included. I've been honing a Boh Pils recipe for a few years now and T45 Saaz is my favourite.

Craftbrewer have T45 Cz Saaz for the same price as other hops. 6% AA - goes twice as far.

You get a better flavour and aroma too as the "stalks" aren't included. I've been honing a Boh Pils recipe for a few years now and T45 Saaz is my favourite.

Those t45 hops are excellent! Just finished up 500g of the hallertau T45 from craftbrewer.

I will have to get a foily of saaz next time...

Thanks for heads-up people, I will follow them all up and see which is best suited.

Much appreciated, Steve

You could try growing some Saaz. My plant is at a stage I can grab a few shoots off it for you if you like. Freebee :lol:

You could try growing some Saaz. My plant is at a stage I can grab a few shoots off it for you if you like. Freebee :lol:

Thanks for the offer hoppy2B, I can't see myself getting down your way anytime soon but I wouldn't mind taking you up on the offer next season.

Steve

Thanks for the offer hoppy2B, I can't see myself getting down your way anytime soon but I wouldn't mind taking you up on the offer next season.

Steve

You can pick them up from the Henley Beach / Adelaide area if you like. I'm planning to grab a few shoots from different varieties tomorrow because the next few days will be cooler. Couple of weeks in the pot and they can go into the ground, so no real rush. If you want to grab some let me know. Cheers.

You can pick them up from the Henley Beach / Adelaide area if you like. I'm planning to grab a few shoots from different varieties tomorrow because the next few days will be cooler. Couple of weeks in the pot and they can go into the ground, so no real rush. If you want to grab some let me know. Cheers.

Sounds good. I will probably pick you up on that offer. Shoot me a PM with some details, I say most probably because of time contraints not distance constraints. (siily season)

My hop plants are all growing ATM so I can't divide them but I'll be splitting them up a bit next year, especially POR, it's growing like a triffid.

Steve

Latest posts

Back