Using rolled oats instead of flaked barley

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanos

Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to ask if I can substitute flaked barley with rolled oats in a recipe for a dry stout?
If so, should I replace it in 1:1 ratio?
If not, then what should I replace flaked barley with?

You could probably replace flaked barley with normal roasted barley. Oats may work well in a stout but will give a different mouthfeel. If you sub at a 1 to 1 ratio you will get a similar gravity. I'm no expert, maybe check out some of the stout recipes in the data base.

Sorry hoppy that is bulltish....... OP is a lot closer to the mark, however your comment about mouthfeel is correct, oats gives me a silky slick feeling in my mouth.

Too many oats can introduce oils that can be a head killer, but for smaller quantities, say a couple of hundred grams, you should be ok. In fact I was going to put 200 or 300 in my stout yesterday but couldn't be bothered to walk round to BiLo B)

Bribie G said:
Too many oats can introduce oils that can be a head killer, but for smaller quantities, say a couple of hundred grams, you should be ok. In fact I was going to put 200 or 300 in my stout yesterday but couldn't be bothered to walk round to BiLo B)
Spot on. I used 10% in an amber ale once mashed with a protein rest and all. The head vanishes quickly and I also noticed it didnt age as well. The oats never took over but they just didnt mellow nicely with the malt.

Any recommendation on what %'s to use in certain styles?

I use Malted Oats. For an ale I would between none and 3% though up to 5% should be OK, particularly in a darker beer.
Irish Stout traditionally used, along with malted barley, unmalted and roast unmalted barley as the British Gov had imposed a high tax on malted grains. You can also use small amounts of cracked barley from a stock food supplier.

K

This is the grain bill in the recipe I'm trying to do:

2.68 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) 63.1 %
1.04 kg Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 24.4 %
0.47 kg lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 11 %
0.06 kg Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 1.5 %

the flaked barley is 24.4 % in the recipe, so if I will substitute it with rolled oats it will be more than 10%.
should I replace it with rolled oats and some other type of malt so it won't cause head problems?

Try some of the stock fodder stores. I think flaked barley is something they may carry.

Thanos said:
Hi,
I wanted to ask if I can substitute flaked barley with rolled oats in a recipe for a dry stout?
If so, should I replace it in 1:1 ratio?
If not, then what should I replace flaked barley with?
I just looked on the BrewAdelaide website and they have flaked barley. Have you checked any of the other retailers on here to see if they have it?
You can always replace flaked barley with flaked barley. :blink:

hoppy2B said:
I just looked on the BrewAdelaide website and they have flaked barley. Have you checked any of the other retailers on here to see if they have it?
You can always replace flaked barley with flaked barley. :blink:
So which do you recommend, Hoppy? City Farmers, or a homebrew shop? :blink:

Is there anywhere you can get flaked barley in Perth?
I have found a stock feed supplier that sells it in 25kg bags which is way too much for what I want.

Last time I needed flaked barley I got it from a bulk food place (I.e. bins of stuff you scoop into bags). I'm pretty sure health food type places also carry it.

I don't think you want oats in a dry stout, maybe better off just not using it at all if you can't get any.

Also, I think you could use pearl barley (or unmalted barley) and cook it. Supermarkets sell pearl barley.

Bribie G said:
I regularly use 200-250g of quick oats in my beers, & have gone up to as much as 500g on occasions. I've never found it to affect head formation or retention in an adverse way. I've actually found the opposite. It gives a nice big creamy, fluffy head, which is why I use it regularly.

Would make a good substitute for flaked barley in my opinion.

the difference between stockfeed and food grade is totally astounding... when a farmer plants barley or any crop they prey it goes food grade or hops grade (for barley) they dont just grow it. it has to have outstanding conditions.... no disease no mould and the right protein count..... stock feed grade is the absolute bottom of the barrel! would you eat dog food coz ive worked in abattoirs and i can tell you what that is too and it aint human consumption.....

aint my 2c worth its fact...

TWOC has flaked barley in Perth can buy it in 500g or 1kg sized bags.I use flaked barley in stouts up to 10 percent mainly for head retention,not sure what it gives to the mouth feel of the stout. Oats are good for mouth feel but in high levels can lead to an astringent taste in the beer and may affect head rentention.Not an expert but I like me stout.
Stout.JPG

O-beer-wan-kenobi said:
Is there anywhere you can get flaked barley in Perth?
I have found a stock feed supplier that sells it in 25kg bags which is way too much for what I want.
Kakulis Bros in Northbridge sell flaked barley (or at least they used to)

Back