Using Paypal In Australia?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to tee up payment for my BC and they use Paypal. My understanding is that we can use paypal as well here but the email I got back from Bob said that Paypal is only good for the US and Canada. Reading over the Paypal website I can't see any mention of problems with other countries due to your payment going through in the chosen currency.

Has anyone used Paypal for purchases from the states or anywhere? Keen to find out how you went.

Thanks heaps.

Justin

Paypal can be expensive.

Try sending them a postal order in US Dollars....

Might also be able to do an electronic funds transfer on the internet...

Hope this helps

I've used Paypal to buy items from people in the US via eBay.
Haven't had any problems.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc and GMK.

GMK, any idea what it costs (My purchase is $122.50 US). I haven't been able to find any reference for charges with PayPal, only a charge for converting the currency. I thought I may have read that if your a buyer is it free, it only costs if you want to set up an account for payments to go into.

Appreciate your help guys.

JD

I too have bought stuff using paypal.
There is no cost to using it from what I can recall. Actually, I bought a few things in Australian dollars, used a currency conversion website and paid in $USD.

But no PAYPAL charges and no problems.

If you need to convert rrencies, use This site as a good reference.

For $122.50, you are looking at about $167.35 (plus your banks conversion fees, usually less than a few dollars)

Top form. Putting my order in. :D :D :D :D

Here comes my BC.

Just read the PayPal site..

Personal Account:
Send Money: Free
Receive Funds: Free
Add Funds: Free
Withdraw Funds: $1.00 AUD to an Australian bank account - Fees for other banks

So looks like your safe as houses.

The dollar is getting pretty high, now seems to be a good time to buy US.

Call me a newby, but what's a BC? :huh:

Murray

How much are they worth? I am getting a grain crusher for Xmas, but it's like the old mincers/coffee grinders for $90. There are twin rollers jobs here as well but they're $150-$200 (made in Sydney apparently).
Is it worth the money for a roller type? I'm new to mashing and not in a club just yet so I am trying to set myself properly (without much experince to draw from).

Hoops

It really depends on how much money you can part with. The mincer jobs tear the grains as opposed to crushing them, but they get the job done. I wouldn't really recommend them, if you are going to spend $90 on one, you are better off spending more money on something you should never really need to upgrade.

I have a single roller mill from ESB that I picked up when the dollar was quite average, and I am more than happy with its performance. I can get up to and a little over 80% efficiency with it.

It is debatable whether the imported dual rollers provide a better crush than the single roller mills, but they have a greater capacity, cutting down on crushing time. They are prettier and probably sturdier. If you can afford it then they are probably the go. Ask around and people will tell you how much it cost them in total to get one delivered to Australia.

Murray

when you say you get 80% efficiency, does that mean you are extracting 80% of the sugars from the grain? and does a better crush give you a higher efficiency?

Hoops

Justin

How much is the "BC" costing you? Is it a newy or second hand? I am looking for one at the moment and the roller mill type sounds like the way to go.

Hoops

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
Murray

when you say you get 80% efficiency, does that mean you are extracting 80% of the sugars from the grain? and does a better crush give you a higher efficiency?

Hoops
In a sense. Better off dealt with in another thread...

Here is a good web page that deals with extraction efficiency.
http://hbd.org/uchima/tech/efficiency.html

Hoops, it's $122.50 US delivered (about $169 AUS), but it's not being delivered to Australia. I've got a mate in Philadelphia on work who said he'd bring it back for me so I'm going to save quite a bit on postage providing I can get it to him quick enough as he leaves soon.

Delivered to Aus it $165 US (10 day via air mail) or $145 US by Ship (4-6 weeks). Northern Districts in NSW can do them for $260+P (correct me if I'm wrong).

Valley Mill is $240 CND delivered.

Crank and Stein CGM-2S landed for about $130US, CGM-2A $168 US.

JSP Maltmill was $99 US + postage to Aus (??)

These were delivered to Hobart, TAS

Currency converter at www.xe.com

Hope that helps

Thanks guys, Justin

Justin

I have a mate going to the US soon so I may do the same thing.

Thanks to you and Murray for the info & advice

Hoops

Back