Using Out Of Date Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where's that list from Nick? I'm pretty sure there's an Andrew Clarke from QLD and an Andrew Clark from VIC (as that guy is - possible coincidence).

I believe he's from Bayside Brewers and has won/placed in a few comps.

Where's that list from Nick? I'm pretty sure there's an Andrew Clarke from QLD and an Andrew Clark from VIC (as that guy is - possible coincidence).

I believe he's from Bayside Brewers and has won/placed in a few comps.

Not sure mate. I know you also prefer 1762 for belgians, so I can see you liking the T58 flavours.

EDIT: list is from AABC 2010 IIRC. Is there something about being called Andrew Clark(e) and using T58? Is this some kind of doppleganger conspiracy? Who is this masked man?

1st Angus Williams 109.5 VIC 15.2 Belgian Golden Strong Ale Wy1214 1079 1011 242
2nd Craig Webber 107.5 ACT 15.2 Belgian Golden Strong Ale 1079 244
3rd David Clarke 102.5 QLD 15.5 Belgian Dark Strong Ale Wy3787 1085 1016 148
4 Brenton Rehn 102 SA 15.1 Belgian Blonde Ale 1067 321
5 Andrew Clark 101 VIC 15.2 Belgian Golden Strong Ale T-58 1076 1012 161
6 Stu Whytcross 99 ACT 15.4 Dubbel Wy3522 1065 1018 298
7 Bill Turner 98.5 ACT 15.5 Belgian Dark Strong Ale WLP530 1096 1034 296
8 Liam Ahearn 96.5 QLD 15.3 Tripel Wy3787 1075 1012 104
9 Grant Stott 93 VIC 15.4 Dubbel Wy3522 1066 1012 234
10 Michael Meissner 91 NSW 15.1 Belgian Blonde Ale Wy3538PC 1075 359
11 William Steudler 90 WA 15.1 Belgian Blonde Ale Wy3739PC 1048 1008 287
12 Andrew Squire 89.5 NSW 15.5 Belgian Dark Strong Ale Wy1388 1081 180
13 Anthony King 88.5 SA 15.1 Belgian Blonde Ale T-58&Wy3787 1070 1012 126
14 Jared Birbeck 86.5 SA 15.5 Belgian Dark Strong Ale Wy1762 1071 266
15 Paul Hyatt 84 WA 15.4 Dubbel Wy1214 1068 1012 140
16 Perry Burt 79 QLD 15.4 Dubbel Wy3864PC 1078 1020 152
17 Clinton Mitchell 70 WA 15.4 Dubbel Wy3522 1070 1012 196

I'd say this above shows it's not a very popular choice for the style. Because it's pretty average. :D Would have been better to use what the winner used ... but Andrew is a genius for making a winning beer with T58, what with it being a yeast no one else chooses, because it's pretty average.

Nah - :p I just don't prefer it to the estery, phenolicy belgian yeasts that nearly everyone in the above list used - probably for the same reasons they had to not choose it. It's averageness.

Nic you are a scream at times.... you must have so much free time on your hands to go desperately searching for something to try & back up your arguments. But as so often happens you just make yourself look like a bit of a dick (I mean that in a nice way) extracting information that doesn't back you up at all, rather than accepting its not only your opinion that counts.

You've searched to find Andrew Clark not winning with T-58 & have pulled a totally different guy - Classic LOL. T-58 Has also featured pretty well equally in your list of winning beers & has outpointed many classic liquid strains, so again supports the quality of the yeast. Andrew Clarks beer from Qld was a gold medal beer & one that relied heavily on the yeast profile, that does not happen from using poor yeast. There's nothing wrong with you not liking a particular yeast, I don't partiularly like wy3333, but it doesnt make it a bad yeast.

cheers Ross

Nic you are a scream at times.... you must have so much free time on your hands...

Yup, not working at 6pm. Just trying to keep one step ahead of Batz's delete button.

Who are these Andrew Clarks, Ross? My "desperate" search took 3 seconds on google.

I know you also prefer 1762 for belgians, so I can see you liking the T58 flavours.

Actually I've only used 1762 once (and I'm drinking a glass right now). My yeast choice depends entirely on what I'm brewing, one main reason why I stick to liquids as the variety is much better and more specific. The belgian I pronbably have fallen back on most is 1388. Have used 1214 a few times and got more banana than I'd care for but I will revisit now I've changed my recipes and mash schedules and finally seem to be producing some decent Belgian styles.

I've avoided t-58 so far because it seems to be a generic 'belgian' yeast rather than a specific dubbel/tripel/golden strong/chimay/rochefort type deal which I can get from the liquids.

I wouldn't decsribe the beer I'm drinking at the moment with 1762 as amazingly peppery but it did have cacao nibs and raisins in secondary. There's also a lot of alcohol warmth.

I've avoided t-58 so far because it seems to be a generic 'belgian' yeast rather than a specific dubbel/tripel/golden strong/chimay/rochefort type deal which I can get from the liquids.

My thoughts exactly. It's "average".

But then again, I'm beginning to think I completely misjudged T58...

...or Ross has a whole bunch of it that's close to expiry date. :D

Please try to keep this thread as close to on topic as possible.

For the record its not Batz' finger also I believe the 2009 best of show was a strong belgian entered as a specialty because it was oak aged. If you want clarification check out the QABC website and look up the 2009 results.

I'm not suggesting the yeast itself is average as I've never used it. You have though so your experience counts for something.

To be fair, I prefer liquid over dried simply because of the variety and that's with all yeasts. It's not a criticism of dried, it's a preference for more specificity.

There are ingredients I don't like (mainly certain hops) but for me it comes down to personal taste and/or inappropriate use than quality of ingredient (that said I think weyerman munich is a lot nicer than JW munich, though some may disagree).

@bradsbrew: I know it's a little bit off topic but since it is a yeast the OP has intentions of using, a little bit of discussion about it is surely not too off key?

There's no pictures of nanny goats in bikinis etc.

@bradsbrew: I know it's a little bit off topic but since it is a yeast the OP has intentions of using, a little bit of discussion about it is surely not too off key?

There's no pictures of nanny goats in bikinis etc.

Manticle, yes it has gone off topic and morphed into a yeast topic which seems to the OP's benefit which is good. I have only cleaned up the tit for tat arguing that has no brewing benefit to the forum readers.

cheers

Manticle, yes it has gone off topic and morphed into a yeast topic which seems to the OP's benefit which is good. I have only cleaned up the tit for tat arguing that has no brewing benefit to the forum readers.

cheers

Thanks brad... You got anything to add about t-58 while your here?

Thanks brad... You got anything to add about t-58 while your here?
Mate havn't got alot to add as I have not used it myself but have tried a beer bribie brought to a brewday a while ago that he used T-58 in and it was a subtle belgian that wasn't phenolic and in your face and I enjoyed it. The only belgian yeast I have used is 3787 and I have had some good results with that.

Cheers

Personally I think its the best choice among the dry yeasts for dark/strong Belgian.
The peppery flavours are accentuated by low pitch rates, higher fermentation temperatures and the amount of O2 in solution, Low O2 really steps up the pepper (lets not have the dry yeast doesnt need aeration discussion, not talking about yeast reproduction or not directly)
Conversely I find it a very clean if occasionally prone to throwing some brandy wine flavours if its brewer near the bottom of the temp range, well pitch into an O2 rich wort.
For some reason I keep getting hints of Osborne Brandy in the best examples of dark strong brewer with T-58.
On the old extract, the most common fault laid ascribed to old extract is a Tinny or metallic flavour; I wouldnt use old extract for anything including making starters

Mark

Well without thinking about it too hard S-33, a bit of a surprise but K-96 (actually its pretty much an archetypical yeast and can do lots of strange stuff) a couple from Brewferm, (have been available in Australia on occasion) Blanche and Top, apparently their Lager works really well in Belgian Golden at Ale temperatures.
A lot of it is how the yeast is used and if you manipulate the conditions quite a few common yeasts will taste very Belgian under the right conditions not a dry yeast but Coopers commercial (i.e. from a bottle) brewed warm, fed a lot of sugar and stressed a bit can be downright continental.
M

Well without thinking about it too hard S-33, a bit of a surprise but K-96 (actually it's pretty much an archetypical yeast and can do lots of strange stuff) a couple from Brewferm, (have been available in Australia on occasion) Blanche and Top, apparently their Lager works really well in Belgian Golden at Ale temperatures.
A lot of it is how the yeast is used and if you manipulate the conditions quite a few common yeasts will taste very Belgian under the right conditions – not a dry yeast but Coopers commercial (i.e. from a bottle) brewed warm, fed a lot of sugar and stressed a bit can be downright continental.
M

I'm not a huge fan of s-33. It died real early on a high gravity IPA I made in August

I'll let you know in a couple weeks what I think. I have a very underhopped dark and amber using t-58. It should let me know what t-58 is all about.

And for both recipes I am using out of date extract. Hows that for reeling it back in?

Back