Using Oats Gives Me A Stuck Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildrakey

Reaction score
Okay...

I seem to getting stuck mashes, with even as low at 800g of Golden Oats... I'm using Rice Hulls (about 1L worth) and I'm still getting the issue. The first run wasn't too bad but the sparge glued up real tight...

I'm doing a single 60mins at 66.7. Is there a 2 part mash or rest I can do to avoid the 'oatglue'?

'Golden Oats', you mean the golden naked oats as sold by Craftbrewer? I have used these lots of times never with an issue and I crush them to flour before adding them to the rest of the mash, they are already converted and are a crystal malt, so should not cause this 'oat glue' problem.

are you raising up to mashout temps to assist runoff? this will help in all cases.

Are you sure it's the oats that are giving you the stuck mash? How is your manifold / braid set up (I presume you are 3V?) Do you have sparge problems with no oats in the bill?

Are you sure it's the oats that are giving you the stuck mash? How is your manifold / braid set up (I presume you are 3V?) Do you have sparge problems with no oats in the bill?

To add to this- do you batch sparge? High run off speed? I found when batch sparging I had a few stuck mashes. This was combined with too much stirring (created a thick film of wet flour over the mash) which led to compaction.

Now with a slow fly sparge I can manage 60/40 wheat to barley no probs.

I'm a pot and cooler 'masher'...

And yeah, I'm a batch sparger... Maybe thats the issue. I also pulled put John J Palmer's Bible and he mentions a Beta-Glucanase rest... Might give that a go?

How do most people fly sparge? I've just got back into mashing after a 10-12 year absense... You used to see sparge arms in the shops... Now what are people using???

When using oats in the Braumeister, the sparge is definately much slower. For me, anyway!

You can also pre-gelatinise your oats( cook) , separately , then add them to your mash..this will activate the beta glucans...

And yeah, I'm a batch sparger... Maybe thats the issue.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like batch sparging will give you a stuck mash.

My main problem was over stirring before sparging (film of crud on top of mash) + a high run off rate= stuck mash (for me).

I swapped out my home made copper mainifold for something else and got my first stuck mash. I ended up swapping it back during the mash which really hurt. It drained fine after that. so perhaps check your manifold design.

I read somewhere that a protein rest at 122F for 30 minutes will help break down the large proteins into medium ones. This would help it not to 'glue' together.

The only time I've ever had a stuck mash with BIAB is when I read an old post that Coopers at the old brewery used to use plain flour as their wheat adjunct, so I gave it a go.

OOps

However I use oats, wheat malt etc etc and never get problems. If doing a potentially sticky mash why not get $8 of voile and give it a go and see how you finish up.

Back