Using Liquid Extract Instead Of Dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunched

Reaction score
I'm about to brew up 2 brews, both calling for 1kg of dry wheat extract. I have 2 1.5kg tins of liquid wheat extract. How can I work out the right amount of liquid extract to use compared to dried? I'm thinking 1.5kg of liquid extract would be more than 1kg of dried, but unsure how to work it out.

Any ideas?

liquid is dryx0.8. ie liquid is 80%malt, 20% water. so 1.5kg liquid is 1.2kg dry. To convert dry to liquid, multiply by 0.8, to convert liquid to dry, divide by 0.8.
If the liquid measurement is in Litres instead of Kg, it is a factor of 1.36recurring. So Kg of liquid to Litres, divide by 1.3636, Litres to Kg of liquid, multiply by 1.3636.

liquid is dryx0.8. ie liquid is 80%malt, 20% water. so 1.5kg liquid is 1.2kg dry. To convert dry to liquid, multiply by 0.8, to convert liquid to dry, divide by 0.8.
If the liquid measurement is in Litres instead of Kg, it is a factor of 1.36recurring. So Kg of liquid to Litres, divide by 1.3636, Litres to Kg of liquid, multiply by 1.3636.

Thus explaining why I was no good at extracts :)

Butters. I stand to be corrected and I am not questioning your ratio's, but if you multiply 1.2 by 0.8 i.e. multiply dry by 0.8 you will get get 0.96. The ratio works but the direction I think is wrong.

Im useless at maths.. but i read that LME is 20 % water so i work off that.

Butters. I stand to be corrected and I am not questioning your ratio's, but if you multiply 1.2 by 0.8 i.e. multiply dry by 0.8 you will get get 0.96. The ratio works but the direction I think is wrong.

Duhhh. I'm half cut at the moment. You're right, of course. The ratio is the same, I just had it round the wrong way.....what is it Willy Wonka says?..."Stop, reverse that".
:lol:

Duhhh. I'm half cut at the moment.

I thought that might be the case by looking at some of the type spacing in your post. Just for what it's worth, I did check myself three time before I made the post. :D

OT, I have only used dry extract in my limited extract history, and have always let Beersmith work out how much to use for me.

Cheers
Gavo.

I thought that might be the case by looking at some of the type spacing in your post. Just for what it's worth, I did check myself three time before I made the post. :D

OT, I have only used dry extract in my limited extract history, and have always let Beersmith work out how much to use for me.

Cheers
Gavo.

I think it's a combo of beer, and low batteries in the wireless keyboard :lol:

Personally, whilst I use Beersmith (and love it) for AG, I'm not overly keen on it for extract brewing. I find it a bit....complex. Too many bells and whistles, all the things that you need for AG, but for simple extracts, a bit OTT. But then again, I've only brewed one extract since I got it, everything else has been AG.

:D
Thanks guys - for the info, and the entertainment. I can understand the half-cut-ness, as currently I am "testing" carbonation levels and to ensure consistency I am taking an average over 3 glasses (per keg). :chug:

repeated "testing" is one of the most important principles of the Scientific Method.......thats my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!!!
:lol:

And I am taking advice from those in the know - and clearly buttersd70 is in the know. When the mrs gets home and questions me over my level of intoxication, I can blurt out "testing".

Butters, half cut at 5.30pm, I'm impressed :party:

When the mrs gets home and questions me over my level of intoxication, I can blurt out "testing".

Odds on SWMBO will not buy this. :p But I suppose it's worth a try, although it doesn't appear to work here. Its just like the other issue when SWMBO asks of why do you need to brew more beer, haven't you got enough already.

One day I suppose I will use beersmith for more demanding purposes. However for now I find it is quite useful when just learning to get away from kits and keeping me in style with what I am trying to brew.
2C from the very humble extract convert and beginner/learner.

Cheers
Gavo

Odds on SWMBO will not buy this. :p But I suppose it's worth a try, although it doesn't appear to work here. Its just like the other issue when SWMBO asks of why do you need to brew more beer, haven't you got enough already.

Do what I did to my swmbo. The addition of the x factor. It's now xswmbo. :lol:

Do what I did to my swmbo. The addition of the x factor. It's now xswmbo. :lol:

No, couldn't do that. Who would check the fermentation temp when I wasn't there. :lol: Jees Butters it was only the 19th anniversary yesterday and I wouldn't know what to do with myself anyway. B)

Back