Using Lager Yeast For Brewing Ales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegBadgery

Reaction score
I've read elsewhere about people using lager yeast when brewing ales - the idea that a lager yeast even when used at higher than optimum temp. will produce a "cleaner" result than an ale yeast.

Any thoughts on this?

cheers
reg

RegBadgery said:
I've read elsewhere about people using lager yeast when brewing ales - the idea that a lager yeast even when used at higher than optimum temp. will produce a "cleaner" result than an ale yeast.

Any thoughts on this?

cheers
reg
I've heard of this, AFAIK they're called "steam beers" or california common. Fermented with lager yeast at ale temperatures, then lagered.

I'd like to know how it goes if you give it a try :)

I've tasted a lager brewed with saflager at 18 degrees constant and it was quite acceptable (was brewed at u-brew-it).

Good Day
I made an English special bitter with WLP San Fran because the ale yeast starter didn't smell very good to me and I had a small jar of the lager yeast in the fridge. The beer was fermented at 20oC and has turned out like an English steam beer. It is clean and quite nice IMHO. However it doesn't have the characteristic esters associated with ales. Clean means you will have less ale character but it is worth a try and see if you like it. It would be cleaner if you fermentered at 14-18oC.

Back