Using Kopperfloc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougsbrew

Beer Sloth
Reaction score
hi there, i used kopperfloc for the first time last night and my results were bad.
usually i dont have any problem with break seperation however reading the write up,
better stability, shorter ferment time, clearer wort etc, i thought id give it a go.
the break was suspended throughout the wort once chilled(apprx 1 hour later).
i transfered to the FV and with lots of break going through decided to do a quick
clean up my boil pot, quick sterilise tipped back in and run it through my
wort filter which blocked up twice. the thing that i think may have been responsible was
the kopperfloc went in at 10 minutes, then i did a 5 minute hop addition(5g, 20 litre brew).
is this what made it go pear shaped? anyone elses experiences please.

hi there, i used kopperfloc for the first time last night and my results were bad.
usually i dont have any problem with break seperation however reading the write up,
better stability, shorter ferment time, clearer wort etc, i thought id give it a go.
the break was suspended throughout the wort once chilled(apprx 1 hour later).
i transfered to the FV and with lots of break going through decided to do a quick
clean up my boil pot, quick sterilise tipped back in and run it through my
wort filter which blocked up twice. the thing that i think may have been responsible was
the kopperfloc went in at 10 minutes, then i did a 5 minute hop addition(5g, 20 litre brew).
is this what made it go pear shaped? anyone elses experiences please.

Hi there,

I have only ever used Koppafloc and I have been thrilled with the results. I use 2 grams in a 25L brew (25L post boil) 10 mins from flameout. I use an immersion chiller and I stir the wort until its at 20 degrees. I then whirlpool and walk away for 10-15 mins. Come back to crystal clear wort which I transfer to the fermenter.

In earlier days when I first started with Koppafloc I was adding 5-6 grams. This caused the break to congeal into big strange looking lumps. See this thread for the info there: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=30523

Thats my experience with it and I have had good results. I will try whirfloc at some stage (seems to be more popular) but Koppafloc works well for me these days.

I forgot to add it about 3 brews ago and when I put the wort in the fermenter it literally looked like dam water so I love koppafloc and use it for every brew.

Also see this thread for more info: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=37934

Cheers.

Hang on....

I just re -read your thread...

Have you used any kettle agents before? (whirfloc etc??)

If not then I think I know what has happened...

Koppafloc (and whirfloc I think) cause the proteins in the wort to congeal upon cooling. When thens proteins congeal they can 'drop out' giving a clearer more stable wort. That is what they are supposed to do...

Perhaps because you are running you wort through a filter or something of the like this congealed protein is causing the blockages...

Am I getting you here??

thanknks bear,
i havnt used any kettle agents before, this is first time, i ran it the wort through a filter after intial transfer as it looked like dam water sitting in the fv.
i havnt been using my wort filter for some time now as i dont have much trouble with break seperation. the filter blocked as the break material was all suspended not sitting on the bottom. thanks for links, looking at them now.

i see nickjd got 30 metres vis with a 5 min addition of agent, hehe.
i guess my question now lies with can you make hop additions after
adding kopperfloc of does this need to be the last addition you make?

i see nickjd got 30 metres vis with a 5 min addition of agent, hehe.
i guess my question now lies with can you make hop additions after
adding kopperfloc of does this need to be the last addition you make?

I've been using it for years, it's brilliant.
10mins before flameout, 2g for my 25lt batches, crystal clear wort & I mean crystal clear.
I often do 5min & 0min hop additions obviously after Kopperloc addition & have never had any problems at all.
I use an immersion chiller so can't help with the wort filter.

I've used both whirlfloc and koppafloc and the main difference that I get is koppafloc leaves these "jelly" lumps stuck to my hop bags that are a real pain to wash out. A bit like chewing gum or bluetak.

This doesn't happen with whirlfloc. I cannot notice the difference between the clarity or quality between the two - both work well.

I prefer whirlfloc, but have about 3 years worth of koppafloc so am planning to get used to it.

Smells like a fishing village in Thailand - and is very salty.

EDIT: I don't whirlpool, but if I did the koppafloc might work better for me. I do get to see the coagulated hotbreak up close on transfering wort to the fermenter, and using both it looks the same in volume and texture.

Latest posts

Back