Using Hop Bags In Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superoo

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has info on a comparison using hops loosely in the boil, and using a hop bag dangling in the boil.

I have just purchased a plate chiller, so todays brew I used a muslin bag to dangle my hops in the boil, to help avoid blocking the chiller.
I used Chinook pellets and Fuggles plugs.

Does not having the hops flowing freely in the boil reduce any bittering or flavour levels ?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers...

i woould say no as the rolling boiling would still the bittering and aroma goodness to go through the brew.

Cheers Fish,
I see you're from Bunbury - same...

Yes I'm hoping that having a loose muslin bag will be ok with hops, the bag seems to move around a fair bit during the boil, I just g=have it pegged to the top of the urn.

Cheers Fish,
I see you're from Bunbury - same...

Yes I'm hoping that having a loose muslin bag will be ok with hops, the bag seems to move around a fair bit during the boil, I just g=have it pegged to the top of the urn.

What part of bunno? I'm in eaton across from the estuary.

I got the water quality here and the hardness of the water is 110 to 130ppm if that helps.

I see bribie and i think nickjd does that too. i like the idea but i brew on the stove top at the moment till i get the regulator for the 3 ring burner going.

Where did you get the plate chiller? What brew you put down also?

I have tried both with and without and found no difference. I find the sock easier when draining wort of the trub though.

Just wondering if anybody has info on a comparison using hops loosely in the boil, and using a hop bag dangling in the boil.

I have just purchased a plate chiller, so todays brew I used a muslin bag to dangle my hops in the boil, to help avoid blocking the chiller.
I used Chinook pellets and Fuggles plugs.

Does not having the hops flowing freely in the boil reduce any bittering or flavour levels ?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers...

Hey Superoo,

I used a plate chiller in the past (Plate Chiller) and loose hops (hop sludge) did not go well with it. It clogged up every time and its now at the point where we've had to use am immersion chiller; which is awesome btw

If you have to use a plate chiller, use muslin bags.

Cheers

As long as the bag is at least ten times the volume of the dry hops you get the same bitterness as just chucking them in.

If the bag is tight, you'll not get wort circulating through the bag.

Look at a tea bag for how loose the tea is inside it when it's still dry.

Where I think it can have an effect that's noticible is in the very late additions. In that case it's a really good idea to squeeze the very last drop out of the bag - as that's pure hop flavour in there.

Point tanken on sqeezing the bag, been doing that for years, now to try it with brewing, ferk i'm funny.

Thanks nick, yes i did squeeze drain it last brew, keen to taste it in a bout 2-3 weeks.

My muslin bag is heaps bigger than the amount of hops i'm throwing in, so that should be ok, and i position it so that it moves around a fair bit with the boil.

Cheers to all for replies

I'm making me a spider!

That's a nice bit of DIY kit. I might make one too. Looks easy to clean. You'd wanna make sure the PVC wasn't in the wort though I reckon. Isn't that stuff not-food-grade?

I'm going to make me a hopster...

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

39747d1322923509-hopster-hopscreen-first_hops1.jpg

I'm going to make me a hopster...

Are you sure those hops can circulate enough? They seem a bit restricted. :D

You could deep fry a turkey in that. Great idea for whole flowers, not so sure about pellets, you'd need a super-fine mesh.

EDIT: would it be easy to clean, with pellets? Or would it be like trying to clean a strainer/sieve? Bits getting jammed in the screen.

Are you sure those hops can circulate enough? They seem a bit restricted. :D

You could deep fry a turkey in that. Great idea for whole flowers, not so sure about pellets, you'd need a super-fine mesh.

EDIT: would it be easy to clean, with pellets? Or would it be like trying to clean a strainer/sieve? Bits getting jammed in the screen.

.071 mm hole size is suitable for pellets apparently, you will get some going out of the hopster, but nothing that would clog your chiller.

cleaning would be just dumping the hops and hitting it with a hose.
probably easier to clean than a hop sock.

BF

.071 mm hole size is suitable for pellets apparently, you will get some going out of the hopster, but nothing that would clog your chiller.

cleaning would be just dumping the hops and hitting it with a hose.
probably easier to clean than a hop sock.

BF

You could put crushed grain in there too. :D

I use my old BIAB bag in the kettle now. Just line the kettle with it and boil away. At the end I hold up the bag, let it drain and give her a squeeze to get the juices out. Works well for me.

Im considering creating a more stable design, maybe something with a metal frame and material walls... not sure how that would go for squeezing.

One of these with some spider legs to hold it at the right height would probably work if you always did the same batch size (like me). Only issue would be evaporation lowering the level towards the end of the boil.

Stainless_steel_flour_sifter_flour_sieve_flour.jpg

Back