Using Flaked Maize

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duff said:
I'm guessing it could be done in the microwave as well?
[post="126817"][/post]​

Duff is right. Just put it in a bowl with lid and turn the microwave on high. Alaways works for me.

cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Duff said:
I'm guessing it could be done in the microwave as well?
[post="126817"][/post]​

Duff is right. Just put it in a bowl with lid and turn the microwave on high. Alaways works for me.

cheers
Darren
[post="126821"][/post]​

OK.
Another question now. Apologies if it has been answered earlier in the thread.

If the recipe calls for 300g of flaked corn. Do you use 300g of popped or unpopped corn?

cheers
johnno

popped i reckon. It's had the water boiled off, something that I reckon must happen in flaking too. Would be interesting to compare weights before and after for both types.

Would be interesting. Same weight different volume I would guess.

cheers
Darren

I've always weighed and then popped .Next time (possibly this sat...) I will do a 50 gm comparo

johnno said:
You are going to have to come around and show me how that is done NRB.

Will be nearly time to sample the rye ipa ;)

Sounds good to me Johnno! The secret to the popping is keeping the pot moving.

Darren said:

I too can confirm this works well.

Kai said:
popped i reckon. It's had the water boiled off, something that I reckon must happen in flaking too. Would be interesting to compare weights before and after for both types.

I just ran an experiment with 3 separate kernels

K1 0.17g pre-pop, 0.15g post
K2 0.17g pre-pop, 0.15g post
K3 0.13g pre-pop, 0.12g post

From this really small sample - somewhere between 7 and 12% water in un-popped corn kernels that is released during popping.

PistolPatch said:
Warren said that corn flour would give similiar results. Nothing further was mentioned though. Warren's idea sounds easy and would be very attractive for people that don't even know what an air popper is - not me of course!
[post="126815"][/post]​

PP

Maize flour is available from Health Food stores and (some supermarkets). It's just plain corn flour that's a bit on the yellowish side but is clearly labeled as maize flour.

The times I used it I just sifted it with a mesh collander through the crushed grain and mixed the grain (dry by hand) to disperse it before dumping it all in the mash.

If you don't sift it you increase the likelihood of it clumping. It's been a few years since I've used it because flaked maize was always more convenient in recent times. Maximum amount used (from memory) was about 300g in about 5kg of grain for a 23 litre batch.

Warren -

NRB said:
I just ran an experiment with 3 separate kernels

K1 0.17g pre-pop, 0.15g post
K2 0.17g pre-pop, 0.15g post
K3 0.13g pre-pop, 0.12g post

From this really small sample - somewhere between 7 and 12% water in un-popped corn kernels that is released during popping.
[post="126887"][/post]​

Great work you scientist you!(this is why AHB is such a great resource)

From that data I think i would still pop dry weight and allow a 10%(average)loss in my calculations.

Brau(the semi pedantic) brewer.

Seriously ,give the popped corn a go! it has worked well for me and is a cheap,yet effective method of extending and enhancing an ale,especially a blonde.

It's by no means a scientific experiment as my scales are only accurate to 0.01g, not to mention I only used a single kernel at a time - I didn't feel like eating 100g or so of popcorn.

I might run it again with a better sample in future if no one else does.

Interesting about pre and post popped corn.

Since my corn popper will do only 100g at a time I noticed it came out aprox 90g or slightly under post popped.

Cheers
BB

Which ties in with my calculations BB.

Old topic again i know

The GTR (gelatinization temperature range) of corn/maize is generally 62-72C, so it would gelatinise at mash temp unless you were for some reason using a low mash temp under 62C, just use some regular or instant polenta and screw the cereal mash, too much work boiling it!

Source http://jas.fass.org/cgi/reprint/80/5/1145.pdf (search for GTR)

Should make those CACA/CAP's easier than having to track down rolled/flaked maize or burn your hands. Might give a CACA a go next and use some plain polenta in place of flaked maize.

Or use flaked rice, I've had excellent results using this in my CAP...

cheers Ross

Flaked rice has a different flavour to flaked corn, both lighten the body and colour but corn has a sweeter flavour and smoother mouthfeel in my experience. Plus it tastes like corn rather than rice.

Just because there is a range given doesn't mean it will all gelatinise at the bottom of that range, the only way to guarantee gelatinisation is to boil the adjunct.

Table View attachment 10576

MHB

Seriously ,give the popped corn a go! it has worked well for me and is a cheap,yet effective method of extending and enhancing an ale,especially a blonde.

7 months on and I'll just reiterate what a great adjunct airpopped corn is.
Fast, easy ,clean and o'so fresh

I'm making a vienna lager on Saturday and it calls for about 300g of laked maize ...

I'm going to go the popcorn route - I will microwave it just ina container with a lid on it

... would I be correct in assuming that given the rough ratios that maybe around 330grams of corn kernels would give me about that 300g?

Can I then just add the popcorn straight to the mash?

Yes and yes, though I don't see why you'd be using corn in a vienna lager.

I'm in agreeance with Kai here.

100% Vienna Malt all the way (and a touch of Carafa for colour adjustment).

C&B
TDA

Hey Kai. Im actually going for a mexican vienna - theres some recipes for them in the jan-feb 2006 BYO

"most mexican vienna lagers contain some corn in their formulation .. you could add up to 20% corn ... in your vienna lager"

All the recipes say to add it, and as I am looking to do a Dos Equis clone, I reckon I will as well ... thats one of my favorite lagers and now that Im geared to do them, I want to give it a shot.

I didnt realise that most viennas didnt have corn, thats the only article or reference ive really looked at!

Latest posts

Back