Using Flaked Maize

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren said:
Health food shops sell flaked corn.
cheers
Darren
[post="125817"][/post]​

I'll be hunting down the health food stores then.

Thanks Darren...and PoL. :beerbang:

cheers
johnno

I would run corn flakes through your mill to crush them up more, that might help efficiency. Though they might be too salty like you said on chat.

I've just made a Fullers London Pride clone and had difficulty sourcing the flaked maize. I ended up using good old Kellog's Cornflakes in the mash: The product is fermenting in the shed as I type. One thing I found was that the hot break had floaties the size of postage stamps in the kettle - totally mesmerising to watch!

As for the final outcome - that will be several weeks away but will keep the forum informed.

Steve

This should be interesting to follow up Steve. I only learnt the other day that cornflakes may be too salty.

Johnno, what flaked maize product did you use? I'm considering trying a Belgian using popped corn in the near future.

NRB

The recipe called for 285 gms, the box I bought was 310 gms - I couldn't be bothered with the 25 gm difference. As for the salt, the amount stated on the box looked too small to be worried about so I ignored it.

The good thing about the brew is that it will 25% RDI of Niacen, Riboflaven, various witamins etc :D

Steve

salt....you want salt.....

you should see the amount of salt that goes into the glucose that is used by a very big meggaswill company

turns me GREEN

I get my flaked maize from grumpys. just bought 5 kg of it....... you would have to ask them for an availability.

I like the idea of using popcorn. very inovative.

cheers

I just use flaked maize,
It is available from most good HB shops and some bad HB shops in SA.
Cheers

NRB said:
I'm considering trying a Belgian using popped corn in the near future.
[post="126334"][/post]​

Do it! You won't be dissapointed.

Measure your quantity dry and then pop in a hot air popper.Popping gelatinises the grain and it all but dissolves in the mash leaving the husks(which seem to aid sparging).taste the sweet wort prior to hopping and boiling(mega sweet) ;)

You've twisted my arm, but I'll pop it in a pot on the stove.

NRB said:
You've twisted my arm, but I'll pop it in a pot on the stove.
[post="126374"][/post]​

Won't u need oil for that in the pot.?Oil is no good if its on the grain.With out oil it will scorch and taste funny.

Thats why an air popper is recommended for this .The grain is spun in hot air and pops out clean and dry.

NRB said:
This should be interesting to follow up Steve. I only learnt the other day that cornflakes may be too salty.

Johnno, what flaked maize product did you use? I'm considering trying a Belgian using popped corn in the near future.
[post="126334"][/post]​

I ended up using Bio Organic - Yes Bio..not just organic cornflakes. :p

I used the ones with the less salt in them that i could find.

In this case 0.2g per 100g.

cheers
johnno

Brauluver said:
Won't u need oil for that in the pot.?Oil is no good if its on the grain.With out oil it will scorch and taste funny.

Nope, I pop all my popcorn without oil on the stove and have never had a problem with it. I guess my temperature control is pretty good ;)

Bringing this up again because my Favourite HBS will no longer stock this product.

Apparently weevils were discovered in the product.

I always thought it was a locally made product but apparently not so. None on the JW malt website. Anyone else supposed to be making it in Australia.

I have to get some for some recipes I am looking into.

So where does it come from> Which maltsters make it.

Will I have to order from interstate?

cheers
johnno

Johhno

It's supplied by either Baird's or Fawcett's.

Weevils.... Eeeekkk. :blink:

Warren -

NRB said:
Brauluver said:

Nope, I pop all my popcorn without oil on the stove and have never had a problem with it. I guess my temperature control is pretty good ;)
[post="126573"][/post]​

You are going to have to come around and show me how that is done NRB.

Will be nearly time to sample the rye ipa ;)

cheers
johnno

Timely topic thanks as I was just after some flaked maize myself.

In the link that Asher gave above, Warren said that corn flour would give similiar results. Nothing further was mentioned though. Warren's idea sounds easy and would be very attractive for people that don't even know what an air popper is - not me of course!

I'm guessing it could be done in the microwave as well?

Weevils are fine if you employ a protein rest. Their exoskeleton also aids in lautering.

Kai said:
Weevils are fine if you employ a protein rest. Their exoskeleton also aids in lautering.
[post="126818"][/post]​

mmmmm......weevil ale :beerbang:

Back