Using Flaked Maize

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Hi all

I have used flaked maize in a few brews so far but im not sure if im getting everything out of it.

I have been just adding it to the mash and letting it steep with the grain at whatever temp i choose.

Is there a better way to use it?

I have heard of people cooking it like u would oats the release the starches.

I was hoping some people could share their thoughts, experiences and sugestions on this great little adjunct.

cheers

Oh....... i am only using it at 5 to 7% at the moment but might be using it in the 20 something % mark soon for a CAP.

cheers again :)

Tony,

I spoke to Fawcett's in the Uk on this very matter - They told me their product just needs to be mashed along with the other grains - no special treatment needed...

cheers Ross

Tony ,

I have only used the Polenta, add about a third of its weight in crushed malt, add some H2O, raise it's temperature to 65oC for ten minutes, then boil for half an hour. Stir contantly.

It bubbles and spits so be careful .

Pumpy

Cook polenta, just chuck the fawcetts stuff in the mash. About 5% adds a nice dryness to an ESB, more than that and you can sort of taste it. Ive used 20 and 25% in CAPs with no conversion problems, and it makes a nice light lager and gives a yellow hue to the beer.

thanks all :)

I have the TF stuff so i will continue doing what im doing

cheers people

I was shocked to find that my favourite brew store had no flaked corn in stock today.
I need 300 grams for a beer i am making this weekend.
what can i use as a substitute?

help!!

cheers
johnno

Also Johnno.

If you can be bothered hunting around for it some healthfood shops sell Maize Flour. You could probably sift a bit of that into the mash with no ill-effects.

Other than that see my PM? ;)

Warren -

Best way to get more from it is to use more. Since it's flaked, the carbohydrates contained within are pregelatinised so there's nothing needed to do with it other than add it to the mash.

Mel at ESB told me to use popcorn from the supermarket, un-popped.

Jim_Levet said:
Sanitarium Corn Flakes or go to a health food shop
James
[post="125692"][/post]​

Brauluver said:
Corn popped in a hot air popper works 4 me.
[post="125695"][/post]​

warrenlw63 said:
Also Johnno.

If you can be bothered hunting around for it some healthfood shops sell Maize Flour. You could probably sift a bit of that into the mash with no ill-effects.

Other than that see my PM? ;)

Warren -
[post="125696"][/post]​

Kai said:
Best way to get more from it is to use more. Since it's flaked, the carbohydrates contained within are pregelatinised so there's nothing needed to do with it other than add it to the mash.
[post="125711"][/post]​

Duff said:
[post="125715"][/post]​

WOW!!

Thanks evreybody. What a selection. 75g of each in the mash :p :p

I'll suss it out.

cheers
johnno

Well I hope it's right, I've got a kilo of the stuff and was planning to use some in a Fullers clone shortly :unsure:

If it isn't SWMBO will take care of it :p

Cheers.

Duff said:
[post="125715"][/post]​

MMM.....Thats interesting? I thought it needed the heat from popping to mimic/cause the gelatinising process which makes it mashable. It certainly works a treat and all but dissolves in the mash to leave the husk.
maybe you could check back with em and clarify this point.

Oh yeah,congrats on 500 posts and your title "ya big hunk of spunk" :p

I'd go the corn flakes, johnno. Mainly because I'm curious to know how well it'd work.

Kai said:
I'd go the corn flakes, johnno. Mainly because I'm curious to know how well it'd work.
[post="125787"][/post]​
WHile at the brewshop today i mentioned that and the repot was that they had been tried but were not very efficient.

And I have tried to get all the right ingredients it would be a shame if it did not work out.

cheers
johnno

Guest Lurker said:
Geez, uncooked popcorn would give the mill a bit of a workout.
[post="125795"][/post]​

"Shake Rattle and Roll" methinks.

After airpopping I just give it a rub together with hands(anti bac washed) to break up and stir into the mash.Measure quantity unpopped and then pop fresh,its usually still warm when i mix it in.

Guest Lurker said:
Geez, uncooked popcorn would give the mill a bit of a workout.
[post="125795"][/post]​

No un-popped corn is going through my mill. Health food shops sell flaked corn.

cheers
Darren

Back