Using Finnings To Reduce Sediment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockstock

Reaction score
the old man bought a coppertun kit and landed it at my place. started the first brew Mangrove jacks blonde and its going ok. came with a pack of finnings to be added a day before bottling to reduce sedimentation. do i add it after i get consectutive hydrometer readings?

yes add it when you get 3+ days of the same reading. I like to take the sample then that it 3 days later, that way you are not wasting beer every day. If its changed take another 3 days later as if you took one every day that would be 6 samples your wasted instead of 2 lol. onto finnings its best if you can cold condition (CC) the beers at a temp as close to 0 as you can get, add the finning when FG reached then CC for 2+ days the cold and the finning will drop the yeast out. Also do not rush finning and bottling, the yeast will only benefit from being left longer they will clean up after them selfs and once they clean up they will start to drop out of suspention this is when fining and CC will help them drop faster making the beer clearer

yes add it when you get 3+ days of the same reading. I like to take the sample then that it 3 days later, that way you are not wasting beer every day. If its changed take another 3 days later as if you took one every day that would be 6 samples your wasted instead of 2 lol. onto finnings its best if you can cold condition (CC) the beers at a temp as close to 0 as you can get, add the finning when FG reached then CC for 2+ days the cold and the finning will drop the yeast out. Also do not rush finning and bottling, the yeast will only benefit from being left longer they will clean up after them selfs and once they clean up they will start to drop out of suspention this is when fining and CC will help them drop faster making the beer clearer

CC before adding finnings? will finning process affect bottle carbonation?

CC before adding finnings? will finning process affect bottle carbonation?

CC will improve the clarity of your beer along with adding you finings.

Still bottle condition as you normally would at your desired temperature.

CC will improve the clarity of your beer along with adding you finings.

Still bottle condition as you normally would at your desired temperature.

Whats the best way to achieve the CC result without having a fridge available? I have recently (yesterday) made my frist K&K (a LCPA clone-ish) and want to ensure i have a nice clean beer for bottling.

I was planning on transferring to a secondary after 5 days, which i was lead to believe helps to ensure a clean beer.

BlackRat

Whats the best way to achieve the CC result without having a fridge available? I have recently (yesterday) made my frist K&K (a LCPA clone-ish) and want to ensure i have a nice clean beer for bottling.

I was planning on transferring to a secondary after 5 days, which i was lead to believe helps to ensure a clean beer.

BlackRat

Add gelatine when you rack should help to settle the yeast How to gelatine fine

===================

Cold conditioning will drop the yeast out of suspension quicker.

If you don't have a fridge to CC, it will just take a bit longer to clear. Racking and adding finings will assist in clearing your beer.

Just try not to leave your beer for too long on top of a yeast cake if not racking. The spent yeast can affect the flavour of your beer if left for too long.

5 days after you put it down?? most of the yeast will still be in suspension (if not all) so its best to wait till the fermentation is finish then rack it. I have racked once but found it not worth it. Time is your friend leave it settle out its self use finnings if you can.

"Secondary", kelby. Plenty of people do this and report good results. Not me, however. Nothing to jump up and down about, is what I mean.

Don't worry about CCing if you don't have access to a suitable fridge, BlackRat. The same extra time at ferment temp will still improve the clarity of your beer.

[EDIT: extra stuff]

Back