Using electronic scales for running gravity reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually its nearly what I suggested above, measuring the change in bouncy, except that you have added the extra complexity of moving parts where liquid could get in and change the mass of the float, you have to account for friction between the rod and the tube making up the stem of the hydrometer and any mass of dried on krausen that sticks to the tube...
You haven't suggested how you will measure the location of the "hydrometer" in relation to the rod and how any change in the total volume of the liquids will be accounted for (yes the volume will change - you cant take our a couple of Kg's as CO2 without something changing) as that will change the reference height from where you zeroed your readings
A more complicated and less accurate way to achieve the same thing - no not a fan of the Rod.
Mark

KISS

In line digital Refractometers have come down in price dramatically, last time I looked at them they were around $14K now they are only about $3K.
If you had the budget they are really would be a brilliant choice, offering the ability to measure the mash, boil and with a bit of output manipulation the ferment gravity, here are some https://www.misco.com/refractometers/inline-process-Refractometer
Mark

3k is far beyond my reach at the moment haha, I'm having trouble scraping together for a burner!

I put my head together with a friend over a few beers with this the other night and we had an idea that seems like it's worth testing:

tumblr_n2sg33OlWp1to21kpo1_500.jpg

if the movement is consistent or a pattern is noticeable against gravity readings, it could be calibrated to turn the movement from initial position and change in velocity through liquid to give SG

An adaption to this would be to add a Flex sensor to the arm.

Now, there will be volume change due to C02 however, keeping in mind this is a domestic brew with volumes never larger that 25L, I was wondering how well a bubble counter could account for this change?

Not sure how this would work. An accelerometer will measure acceleration ie rate of change in velocity. To provide a reading it would need movement. What's going to make it move? Also accelerometers only read in one direction, and as it rotates the centripetal force will play around with readings and make them non-linear.
Additionally, viscosity is the resistance to movement. Not sure if viscosity is consistent between brews but if different this is another external variable to account for.

Hey Wiggman,

It would be in a casing which would be balanced to float correctly, as the wort changes this balance will change, the accelerometer should move and this movement should give information on speed and distance and that data is what Im hoping to match against gravity readings... That incorrect that they on read in one direction, they read x,y,z axis simultaneously.
Yeah, viscosity could be an issue not only between brews but also in a single brew with heavier sediment falling to the bottom.

I'm not sure about conductivity, Id need to look into it, Id be afraid of electrocuting my beautiful yeast!

Mr. No-Tip said:
I use a hydrometer.
And sleep in a bed with my wife.

Nah, just kiddding. Sounds interesting. I'll be interested to see if this goes anywhere.
Liar!

You're not married.

Why not just leave the hydrometer inside the fermenter? I used to do this when i was too paranoid that draining some liquid out would pull 'infected' air into the barrel. Use gladwrap and just look in to monitor fermentation.

Hey ekul,

theres a few issues with that, the first being I want constant readings so I can observe the relationships between the different forces acting on the beer, with a traditional hydrometer it requires human interaction to get the readings, I played around with the idea of a hydrometer held by a sensor which could read the movement, however as MHB pointed out, it doesn't address change in volume from C02 loss and interfered readings from the Krausen. However, assuming from his last post he was picturing use in a much larger scale production where the changes in volumes would be much greater than for domestic purposes, so there may still be something in there if I can create an accurate bubble counter and find a way to account for C02 in between the wort and roof of vessel that may not have escaped, again, for domestic purposes this should be much easier.

ArgM said:
Hey Wiggman,

It would be in a casing which would be balanced to float correctly, as the wort changes this balance will change, the accelerometer should move and this movement should give information on speed and distance and that data is what Im hoping to match against gravity readings... That incorrect that they on read in one direction, they read x,y,z axis simultaneously.
An accelerometer will only read measure along a single axis. The most common types have peizo-electric sensor in them connected to a small mass though a dampener. When something is accelerated along the axis of the dampener, it generates a voltage. Multi-axis accelerometers are available but they consist of multiple individual accelerometers and will have 3 outputs. Smartphones (and similar devices like a Wii remote) have 3 inside them to measure each direction.

The movement in reality will be essentially zero, hence why I was a bit sceptical. You won't find an accelerometer that will measure what you're after. It's more likely to pick up vibrations from walking than movement from the arm rotating a few degrees over a few days.
When you say "balanced to float correctly" remember that unless there are two dissimilar fluids of different density in the wort, your float will either sink or swim. To address that you'd need a spring to stop the arm from rotating vertically, but again you can't really use an accelerometer. If you're going to use this method the floation force would be far simpler (and more accurate) to measure which puts us back to MHB's suggestions. Or maybe a circular potentiometer like a fuel tank, but then we're back in overcomplicated territory.

hmm, my thoughts were the same way displacement works, as the gravity of the liquid changes the location where the vessel holding the accelerometer will change, being on an arm controlling the radius this moves means two outputs are required, I wont be measuring the distance moved, but rather the rate in which it moves. By keeping it somewhere stable (so as to not be affected by passing footsteps or trains as I live right next to a train line). I simply need it to write to readings, an initial and a second reading to compare this against.

So, say we have a reading of 300 initial, then it moves as the wort changes with the yeast we may see it change to 310, then return to 300. by observing these changes it may be possible to see a correlation between that and the SG.

I personally advocated the use of a flex sensor over the accelerometer, but the general consensus was that an accelerometer would be more fun to test haha

sorry, you are right, a multi axis accelerometer is what I meant when referring to multiple readings.

Lets call it a thought experiment, what makes the accelerometer move up and down? It is either 1/ lighter than the wort so it floats to the top of the arc and stays there, 2/ heavier, so it sinks and stays there, or 3/ at neutral bouncy so it might float in the middle of the ark, until the gravity changes then it sinks = no data

How would there be no data from 3/ the gravity doesnt change immediately from OG-FG it will fall slowly, the moments of falling will create velocity and will give a data reading which the sensitivity will need to be calibrated to or am I missing something?

Those brewballs looking interesting and look like a solution that could work, I would only get stepped readings with those, but it could be possible to estimate the rate of change depending on the time between each ball falls

Explain how this works and I will agree that you understand buoyancy

Last edited by a moderator:
Took me a while to work out you were talking about buoyancy "wtf is bouncy?"

An accelerometer can measure a static angle well enough, based on the relative pull of gravity along an axis. The common ones available in digital form cheaply nowadays can produce an accuracy down to 0.3 degrees or so, in the units I have built.

A very quick skim of the Brew bug webpage gave me this idea, what about a mass (ideally large surface area and small mass) suspended in the wort attached to a load cell? As the density of the wort changes the mass will float.

Or flaot your hydrometer in the wort and use a camera to capture regular images and process them to interpret the scale.

Never claimed I could spell, specially later in the day spell checkers tend to get more an more retarded :)
Mark

I watched the video, I have no understanding of buoyancy... from the top rated comment I gather, whilst the sand is in the top it want to fall side ways which is inhibited by the tube, when sand falls it is no longer top heavy allowing it to rise, the one with sand already at base sinks because it is top heavy.

Now, since we both agree that I dont understand buoyancy it would be nice for an explanation how an object that remains bottom heavy will not work give readings of velocity as the liquid around it changes? I don't know about you but I dont regularly turn my fermenter upside down...

I think Im going to continue with this and the brewballs (going to try and make my own)

Remember, I'm new to all this, I'm studying Industrial Design, not engineering or science, I'm simply trying to find a way to do this an proposing experiments I think may work. I'm here to learn, not to say I have the answers to everything.

ArgM said:
...if I can create an accurate bubble counter and find a way to account for C02 in between the wort and roof of vessel that may not have escaped...
Only around ~0.2% of the total CO2 from fermentation will be in the headspace (assuming wort with 4 kg DME, 5L headspace, 18 deg C, 100% CO2 in headspace, 80% attenuation).

- 4kg DME = 133 mol CO2... 80% attenuation = 106 mol CO2
- n/V in headspace = 0.04 mol/L of air... 5L headspace, 100% CO2 => 0.21 mol CO2

Back