Using Cling Wrap Instead Of An Airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, how long are you leaving your wort in the fermenter under the gladwrap for?

Using Gladwrap, Here the brew stays in there for 14 days and so far had no probs with infections or anything else for that matter.

TB;

I was trying to point out the ridiculous extreme in some peoples thinking by arguing my opposing viewpoint, and then going beyond that to the equally ridiculous extreme. ;)

Of course the gasses will mix over time, even if undisturbed. The thing that was getting on my proverbials is that so many people consider that the co2 over the beer will dissipate practically the split second that co2 production from the active ferment ceases, and then run around like headless chooks going 'you can't do that! your beer will be ruined! The sky is falling!"......

But mainly it's just that Kymbas avatar grinds my gears. B)

I want to try using gladwrap instead of my lid and airlock. I have my fermenters in a big tub with water in it that's heated by submersible aquarium heaters to keep the fermenters at my desired temp. I have to lift them out of the tub and put them on a table to take gravity readings so I know when to bottle. Is this going to cause the gladwrap to break or come off the fermenter?

I think I've have been converted?? I do/did have a Dip tube though my lid that housed a tempmate probe but I think I can get away with the probe on the outside of the fermenter.......?
IMG_5010.JPG
Less cleaning and sanitation and I can see whats happening in my fermenter.

I've tried a probe in a dip tube, both in my plastic fermenters and now in my S/S ones, but I've gone back to sticking it on the outside. Less potential for infection IMO.

Glad wrap is definitely easier than using an air lock, whether it's better, is probably debatable. I'm inclined to agree that the longer a batch is protected only by glad wrap, the higher the likelihood of the co2 barrier degrading and oxidation becoming an issue .

O.T: Wonder why Mike L'Itorus was banned.

Mike L'Itorus said:
If it all equalises, and if gasses can't form layers, then work will be more comfortable for me....I can throw out my BA and not have to bother with troublesome and annoying gas meters when I do confined space entries. :unsure:

For people that are really that concerned about oxidisation....ffs, speak to a nerd. Ask a chemist (a real chemist, not a pharmacist) about the relative solubility of gasses in liquid....

All you need on top of your fermenter is something to stop shit from falling in it, at the most. And anyone that says anything different to that is a complete moron, or an ignoramus of the first order. Ever heard of open fermentation? Stone squares? Where is Bribie and his picture of a stone square fermentation when you need it?

FFS, this hullabaloo about letting air contact the wort just goes around and around and around, and for so many ppl, the sky is falling! I thought this shit was debunked years ago. :rolleyes:

end rant.
:angry:
My mates uncle brews like this. Only lost 4 brews in 30+ years.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419200176.153941.jpg

Major Arcana said:
Bugger me, is that just a tea towel over the top?

+1 for glad wrap lids! :beerbang:
Finally you 'glad wrappers' know how us 'solid lidders' feel when we see a glad wrap lid...bugger me is that just glad wrap over the top! :ph34r:

Black n Tan said:
Finally you 'glad wrappers' know how us 'solid lidders' feel when we see a glad wrap lid...bugger me is that just glad wrap over the top! :ph34r:
good call mate I was exactly the same at one stage! :ph34r:

Major Arcana said:
Bugger me, is that just a tea towel over the top?

+1 for glad wrap lids! :beerbang:
Ha ha, yeah mate. And a dirty (looking) one at that.

His beer was ok. Straight K&K. No temp control except the doona. That's all he's ever been or will ever be. It suits him and that's that.

Latest posts

Back