Using Brass Compression Fittings?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hey all

Just wondering if there are any disadvantages to using brass over the much more expensive stainless compression fittings for my copper heat exchanger coil?

Cheers
Hunt

Some people believe that there is a serious health risk due to the lead content in brass being in contact with hot liquid for consumption. My wife is one of those people, which is why I am only allowed stainless in my brewery. :ph34r:

I have showed her the spiel from Palmer about 'pickling', and being a hard-core chemistry nerd herself, she told me it was bollox.

One disadvantage : looks of derision from fellow brewers.

If your looking for budget comp fittings, I found these on ebay. There for 12mm OD tube though so may not help. Not that much cheaper than some of the sponsored links but it adds up. Quality is pretty good too.

Heaps of people use brass in their setups though. I did in my old setup and as far as I know the breasts I'm growing are from the carbs and not exposure to lead. If its for a stand alone hex and not in your HLT I reckon exposure to toxins would be almost insignificant. But I'd go with the above advice (especially if you need to get it past the minister of war and finance). And stainless looks so much shinier.

not in an acidic environment though I assume is the difference?

From what I can remember, its different metals and a liquid that causes the reaction, this is accelerated by being in an acidic environment.

Happy to be corrected, it was a long time ago I was into metals and my memory isnt what it once was

Appreciate all the info so far.

I've asked the seller for the ones you found Camo6, if they actually mean 12.7mm haha.

Nah, they're for 12mm OD tube. I thought the same till they arrived at my doorstep. I bought some annealed 12mm ss tube from geordi to suit them when I get around to hard plumbing.

I purchased a few of those ebay fittings and found when left submerged say during the mash they had rusted on the outside. All of the internals where fine. So it can be hit and miss. I am still using some as external fixings on herms and inlets.

Using all brass in my BIAB rig and haven't had any problems other than those DAMN INCESSANT VOICES IN MY HEAD!!!!
But seriously, haven't noticed anything wrong, my copper pickup tube has obviously corroded a tiny amount, but nothing wrong with the brass yet (i pickled my brass bits first)

keifer33 said:
I purchased a few of those ebay fittings and found when left submerged say during the mash they had rusted on the outside. All of the internals where fine. So it can be hit and miss. I am still using some as external fixings on herms and inlets.
Yeah, I reckon that's the chance you take when you buy cheap chinese products off the internet. You get what you pay for. Then again I've had similar experiences with marked up cheap chinese products that I've bought locally.
I'm an avid homebrewer and an avid tightarse ie. I'll spend my lifesavings to make beer as long as I buy it at the right price! :D

Latest posts

Back