Using Bleach To Sainitise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same ol, same ol,

All been said before....................however:

200ml Bleach and 200 ml Vinegar in 5L water = Disinfectant, to Disinfect brewing equipment, hot rinse = neutralisation and disinfected surfaces.

Starsan, Iodophor, Phosphoric Acid Solutions = Sanitiser, use to Sanitise brewing equipment, no need to rinse when mixed at no-rinse concentrations.

If you have had, or suspect an infection has contaminated equipment then DISINFECT after use. Then SANITISE before next use.

My regime is to take the safest path, Disinfect then Sanitise before every brew. Recently a fridgeborn infection had been contaminating my open fermentations in the fermentation fridge. Fixed this by DISINFECTING all fermenting fridge inside surfaces.

Not that I post much these days but in all my (years of) kits & bits/partials brewing yonks ago all I did was rinse fermenter with boiling water before adding the boiled contents/liquid malt. Never had any infections whatsoever say what you like.
Since starting all-grain I have paid more attention to sanitation & after lots of hand-wringing about the dangers of bleach to the environment (and a couple of infections) have finally settled on advice from another thread as in my copy & paste below BUT am using & re-using in a 5-litre container until a refill is needed (Usually 5-6 months or so).

10ml bleach to 5 litres water. Then add 10ml white vinegar. Stir thoroughly. --- Save & reuse.
ALWAYS add the bleach to the COLD water NEVER WATER TO BLEACH.

After blasting out the fermenter with the hose thrice (cold water) I rinse with 2ml/litre phosphoric acid from a 2-litre sprayer.
Starsan to me seems a better alternative than Phos as it reputably lasts months (don't fear the foam :) ) as opposed to Phos which goes off after a week or two diluted in the sprayer.
The only reason I still use phos is because I've got 3.5 litres left from 5 litres from a bb many years ago. Some might remember that bb hey? :D
Am very happy sanitising this way but sure that other methods are equally effective or even better.

Just my 2-cents worth.

PS --- Seems I have missed the last few posts what with all my extensive editing. :D

Hi guys, what about sanitising bottles? I've just been putting a little bit of bleach in each bottle, filling it up with hot water, then letting them sit for a half hour and then rinsing them out.

Would starsan work for this? It's a little time consuming at the moment!

Bleach Vinegar combo at the correct dilution is a no rinse sanitiser even the Starsan founder recommends it.

15ml of bleach add to 10l water then add 15ml white vinegar easy as, never had a problem and cheap as chips.

Not sure if Starsan has become available it was hard to get recently.

Just make up 10litres in a bucket and rinse your bottles 5 at a time.

I use bleach as a cleaner and Starsan to sanitise.

recently i've been trying to embrace sodium perc as a cleaner... but the homebrand woolies nappy stuff i get seems to take heaps more rinsing than the bleach.. i'll be sticking to bleach...

The only reason I still use phos is because I've got 3.5 litres left from 5 litres from a bb many years ago. Some might remember that bb hey? :D

I Remember, early 2006 yes???

Still have about 1L left :lol:

Screwy

In my bottling years I would put the (rinsed) bottles in my laundry tub to soak in a cap-full of dishwashing powder (no PBW then), rinse with my bottle rinser (long gone) then bottle without any worries at all.
Now that I am more enlightned ;) I soak my kegs in 100% sodium perc, rinse, then sanitise with Phos prior to kegging.

My post above will see you through your bottling process no worries at all. :icon_cheers:

PS --- I realise that my (copy & pasted) method was originally posted as a no-rinse sanitiser but have never tried it out as such. One of these days I'll bite the bullet & see but in the meantime I have had no infections after well over 20-odd brews & am as happy with my sanitation as I will ever be.

PPS ---- That WAS a great bb wasn't it Screwy old mate? Still got a litre hey? You're so wasteful! :lol: :beer:

Listen to this podcast on sanitation, where the maker of Starsan talks about using bleach and vinegar just like Screwtop and others have said here.

Sanitation

The number one thing i did to make bottling easier and quicker was switch to starsan.

I make a litre or two up in a bucket, fill 6 or more bottles 1/4 full of starsan and shake each one with my thumb over the end and sit them down on the table. After a couple of minutes I pick up one pour the starsan into an empty bottle and place it on my bottle tree (An upside down bread rack with the slots cut out bigger) and repeat on another bottle.

By the time Ive done the next six the first one has had enough contact time and so on. I just let them drain on the bread crate upside down and if they still have foam inside from the starsan I just fill it with beer and cap it. The foam does not hurt at all and there is supposed to be nutrients or something in the foam that helps the yeast.

Starsan is magic. I also have a spray bottle made up of starsan for spraying bits and pieces such as the end of my hose before it goes into the fermenter and I spray a clean cloth and drape over the top while Im transfering to keep the bugs out.

You are one of the main reasons I don't post anymore so FOW **** off wanker!
Got any complaints cockhead? I'll PM you my address. All you have to do is ask & turn up. :angry: :angry: Coward of the Internet!

Idiot.

We are way glad you dont post anymore you old hom.

Idiot.

Suck my scrotum.

You old dumb ****.

Thats all I have to say.

We are way glad you dont post anymore you old hom.

My dick. swallow it.

So you're not planning on turning up any time soon DINGO?
What else can be expected from scum like you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Over & out.

So you're not planning on turning up any time soon DINGO?

I am not sure what 'DINGO' means, is that some old radio speak? If so, roger that foxtrot!

IF, you are actually implying, we meet up for a physical consultation, WOW - ok.

PM your resting homes addy and we can go at it bro. it will be rad...

You dumb ****.

Hi guys, what about sanitising bottles? I've just been putting a little bit of bleach in each bottle, filling it up with hot water, then letting them sit for a half hour and then rinsing them out.

Back on topic...

I just clean my PET bottles in hot water as soon as I use them, then pop the cap on. If using PET, you need to let it cool down a little before tightening the cap though, otherwise the heat causes the bottle to suck in. When ready to use them again, I give them another rinse in hot water and squirt some starsan into them from a spray bottle, swish it around, drain and bottle. :icon_cheers:

Hmmmmmm Dont you just love the wankers of the forums who have to take shit to that level all the time......

Thanks for ruining a Good thread for the noobies out there who want a good debate on the PRo's and Cons of using each Sanitiser.

I know the articles have the info and im sure this threads been up before but whats the point in using a forum to only read previous threads eh??

Cheers to everyone who put their 2c worth and its a pity that we had to have an Idiot come in and hijac the thread with his B/S

Wow!

I guess with all this beer around there is bound to be a bit of drama!

I reckon I will get some Starsan then! Seems to be the most popular choice :

Hmmmmmm Dont you just love the wankers of the forums who have to take shit to that level all the time......

Thanks for ruining a Good thread for the noobies out there who want a good debate on the PRo's and Cons of using each Sanitiser.

I know the articles have the info and im sure this threads been up before but whats the point in using a forum to only read previous threads eh??

Cheers to everyone who put their 2c worth and its a pity that we had to have an Idiot come in and hijac the thread with his B/S

Welcome to the internet mate. It's going to happen from time, best thing to do is enjoy the "friendly banter" and take more notice of the informative posts.

Welcome to the internet mate. It's going to happen from time, best thing to do is enjoy the "friendly banter" and take more notice of the informative posts.

That's the plan :) good to have a yap with fellow brewers iv met a few guys off here now :) all helps the process of good beer!

Starsan works perfectly for bottles. Just make sure they clean of any residual gunk, i.e. wash them out immediately after you empty one so you don't get crusty bits of yeast etc in there. Napisan works great for removing those bits of crud, as does a bottle brush.

Your method above may work but putting bleach in hot water will cause the active ingredient (hypochlorite) to flash off and become less effective. You would be better to use cold water then rinse with hot water.

its a pity that we had to have an Idiot come in and hijac the thread with his B/S
So what you're saying is that you don't like it when people post in threads just to call others wankers and idiots? A bit of self awareness wouldn't go astray if you're hoping to avoid adding to what you describe as a problem.

Back