Using Badly stored hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A quick run down on the situation is that I have a whole lot of old hops that I was storing in my brewing mates garage. They were all in the freezer, but he switched it off for a while, maybe 6 weeks plus. :angry2:

Unfortunately due to circumstances I haven't been able to brew for almost 6 months and it's been killing me. I have recently rented a garage for the pure purpose of brewing and my 120L 4v system is starting to come along and I am hoping to put a brew on in the next few weeks.

My question is, My first brew is going to be a complete trial, learning the intricacies and just testing the system, but can I use these old hops without possible inducing off flavors? I know the AA will be way down as well as the aromas, but as I said it will just be a test but I don't want to waste the grain if it will turn out tasting like ass?

The hops I looked at still have good aroma, but are a little light on greenness. A couple of the plastic bottles also have light mold on them, but unopened.

Thanks in advance.

My ingredients are less than perfect. Can I still use them?

Yes. It may be less than perfect though.

As above, cheesy should be either avoided or reserved for a lambic. The rest is up to you, what you expect fron the beer and how much chance you are willing to take. Personally, if they didn't smell like my feet, I would use them and be aware of why it might be less than ideal. That's how you learn.

Back