Using an over the side immersion heater to sanitise fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea to use an immersion element to boil-sanitise my fermenters instead of using home brand bleach, starsan, ect.

Has anyone ever done something like this before? If you have, how effective was it? If you haven't, what are your thoughts?

Cheers.

plastic fermenters ?

Will they handle the heat ?

If steel, then steam form an op shop steam mop

mxd said:
plastic fermenters ?

Will they handle the heat ?

If steel, then steam form an op shop steam mop
I'm pretty sure they will. when i started, I used to boil the kettle 100 times (i may have exaggerated a bit there...) and fill up the fermenter, But because i pretty much use my EX-BribieG 60L fermenter now and i dont use starsan anymore I thought this will be a better option and should pay for itself after about 20 brews.

Seems like a waste of water and power to me.

What is the problem with cleaning with a small amount of sodium perc and water followed by a no rinse formulation?

If you wanted to go steam, then you could always use one of those clothes steam wands.

JD

Why just 2 or three boiled kettles, put the lid on ane shake the crappers out of it, then leave it for 15 minutes. Surely that would be enough.
I would imagine the element would melt the plastic where it hangs over the side?

I have used an OTS element for sanitising 30 litre fermenters with excellent results.
A 60 litre fermenter takes up a bit of time but if you are no chilling then you could allow for the time.
You should have a use for the resultant hot water as it is a big waste to tip it down the sink.
I use it for cleaning and I generally only about half fill the 30 litre fermenter, or enough to cover te element.

I now am using stainless olive oil drums for fermenters and I have found that it works just the same with them only they get so hot that you cant handle them for a while so what I do is position the fermenter with the tap oriented to drain the thing without having to touch or lift the fermenter.
Boiling water is always your friend when sanitising brewing equipment but it does take a little forward planning.

bradsbrew said:
Why just 2 or three boiled kettles, put the lid on ane shake the crappers out of it, then leave it for 15 minutes. Surely that would be enough.
I would imagine the element would melt the plastic where it hangs over the side?
My OTS element has a hook so that it is held in place on the top lip of the fermenter.

dicko said:
A 60 litre fermenter takes up a bit of time but if you are no chilling then you could allow for the time.
You should have a use for the resultant hot water as it is a big waste to tip it down the sink.
I don't have a problem with re-using the hot water. Just need to plan a brewday. I can pump it into the kettle when i brew the same day.

You can boil water in fermenters easily with an ots. It will still need to be clean first and starsan will still be quicker and easier for sanitising.

manticle said:
You can boil water in fermenters easily with an ots. It will still need to be clean first and starsan will still be quicker and easier for sanitising.
My intention is to get away from chemical sanitisers. It may be what the big boys use I think it will be better for me..

_WALLACE_ said:
A 10-15 min boil should be enough yeah?
As long as the surface you are sanitising gets above pasteurisation temps (low to mid 70s) for the required amount of time (1-2 mins), you should be fine. Not will be but should be ( and even napisan/starsan, etc is no guarantee against infection). I prefer to overdo, rather than underdo as I've lost brews before but cleanliness and restricting airborne organism exposure are at least as important as final sanitation (I'd argue more).

So you are going to replace the safe chemicals in starsan with the leached toxic chemicals from boiling water in the plastic fermenter.

Latest posts

Back