Using An Esky As A Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And watch your "run-off" flow rate. Keep it slow-ish, Around the Litre/minute( at least in my situation..55lt esky brand rec cooler)

Linz said:
And watch your "run-off" flow rate. Keep it slow-ish, Around the Litre/minute( at least in my situation..55lt esky brand rec cooler)
[post="74978"][/post]​

G'day PM
If you're batch sparging I wouldn't worry about the 1 litre/minute thing.
With a fairly shallow grain bed I doubt it would get stuck anyway.

I use a 44l esky with braid hose, batch sparge and drain with the tap full open after recirculating. Similar to Sosman's description but I drain the tun first.

http://www.metrak.com/wiki/homebrew/moin.cgi/BatchSparge
(Hope you don't mind the link Sosman but it's a good site. :D )

I noticed JP's quote (thanks Shawn) mentions haze related to mash tun size ratio.
I've always had a small amount of chill haze and assumed this to be normal but now you've got me thinking it might be related to the esky shape.
Although I still get some with a 8.5kg grain bill where grain bed depth = width of tun so maybe it's caused by something else.

Has anybody experienced a difference when changing from one type of tun to another with a different ratio?

I'm using the 48qt Rectangular Rubbermaid Chilly bin - That thing is fantastic! Haven't been able to measure a temp drop over an hour's mash, and It cleans up realy well. The plastic liner seems quite a bit thicker than others i've seen

Translation: Chilly Bun = nuzilind speak for esky. And really its a much more descriptive term for the device, I recommend we adopt it on this site from now on.

I use a 44 l rectangular chilly bin, so I probably have less than 4 inches of grain for a light beer. At the risk of contradicting the famous Mr Palmer, I have no problems filtering, no problems with efficiency (batch sparging) and no problems with haze. So I wouldnt be concerned at all with bed depth for a batch sparge.

Guest Lurker said:
At the risk of contradicting the famous Mr Palmer, I have no problems filtering, no problems with efficiency (batch sparging) and no problems with haze. So I wouldnt be concerned at all with bed depth for a batch sparge.
[post="75015"][/post]​

I'm inclined to agree with you GL, although I find that the lower gravity/thinner grainbed beers I brew do tend to take more recirc to get them to clear before running off to the kettle which I was putting down to the shallow grainbed issue. I batch sparge and after using a slowish flow for the first two recirculations (approx 1.5 litres or so in my very hi tech jug :p ) then open the tap up pretty much fully and don't have any probs with stuck sparges etc.

Shawn.

GL, I have stolen your alfoil on top of the grain bed idea, probably worth mentioning here.

A sheet of alfoil on top of the grain bed with holes punched in it allows recirculating wort to drain through to the grain bed without disturbing the grains in any way. Less recirculating required. Better filtration. Effective with shallower grain beds.

Hi Somnar,
Home Hardware has Keep cool round coolers for sale in 2 different sizes, 10 gallon and another larger size for $100 and about $150 respectively.
Chris

Interesting thread folks:
One other related comment if I may - I chose a cylindrical cooler (10 Gal Rubbermaid from the US), rather than a rectangular cooler and I'm glad I did. Why? Well, I'm building a HERMS soon (Heat Exchange Recirculating Mash System) and the smaller relative surface area of the cylindrical cooler will be easier to return the heated mash liquor to during the mash. Just a thought...At the end of the day, any bloody cooler that holds enough grain and mash water will do!!

Cheers,
TL

deebee said:
GL, I have stolen your alfoil on top of the grain bed idea, probably worth mentioning here.

A sheet of alfoil on top of the grain bed with holes punched in it allows recirculating wort to drain through to the grain bed without disturbing the grains in any way. Less recirculating required. Better filtration. Effective with shallower grain beds.
[post="75023"][/post]​

And a non-perforated sheet keeps the mash temp more stable by reducing the air space over the grain

Excellent advice fellas. I was thinking of using some "heavy duty" bubblewrap as a blanket for the mash rather than Alfoil. That would have to help temp stability, yes?

Would help with temperature retention, but i'd be concerned about off flavours from the plastic, polythene (I think thats what most bubble wrap is made of, correct me if i'm wrong) can leach out plasticisers at high temps.

The heavy duty wrap, with the antistatic coating? I guessed that standard grade bubblewrap would be courting disaster, but the heavy duty one (pink with a silvery tint and both sides covered with flat plastic) seems to be a different type of plastic. ?? Hmm. Food for thought tho.

Ah, I'm with ya now. Might be worth cutting off a wee bit and soaking it in hot water, in plain water any smell/taste from the plastic would be pretty easy to detect

Shunty said:
Ah, I'm with ya now. Might be worth cutting off a wee bit and soaking it in hot water, in plain water any smell/taste from the plastic would be pretty easy to detect
[post="75050"][/post]​

Shunty,

I would suggest keeping all your "wee bit's" out of the mush tin and hot water for thit mitter. Could become uncomfortable and taste funny in the brew depending on cleanliness. :eek:

As for foil backed bubble wrap I would be skeptical also of the agents or glues used to laminate the foil on there. Perhaps more of an issue than plasticisers.

Cheers

Borret

Borret said:
Shunty,

I would suggest keeping all your "wee bit's" out of the mush tin and hot water for thit mitter. Could become uncomfortable and taste funny in the brew depending on cleanliness. :eek:

[post="75055"][/post]​

So thats what i've been doing wrong! :D

Jeez Shunty, this is going to keep me busy.

Translation: Wee bit. Nuzilind speak for "A small amount". Possibly equivalent to the Australian term " A Bees dick"

This could help with some of the translation problems :D

Kiwi_Speek.jpg

RobW said:
deebee said:

[post="75023"][/post]​

And a non-perforated sheet keeps the mash temp more stable by reducing the air space over the grain
[post="75032"][/post]​

As does made-to fit 75mm thick piece of foam sheet (no taste problems). I couldn't find a reasonably priced round cooler & so settled for a square Coleman 38 litre & found that a square copper diaphram made to Palmer's specs works perfectly with it. I have still to experience a stuck sparge.
Never thought of the alfoil trick. Will try it out even though the square cooler allows for a deeper grainbed..

:beer:

Back