Using An Esky As A Fv, Possible?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecentennial

Reaction score
I've searched high and low for the past 3 weeks for a suitable FV and I just cannot find anything like a food grade bucket.
I can source a 35l rubbermaid esky. Its like a tall insulated bucket, with a screw on lid, and a tap about 2 inches from the bottom. Nice smooth insides.
I have read these are not recommended as FVs, more for mashing, but with no other options...can I make this work? Do I need to consider any additional parameters whilst fermenting i.e internal temp may be higher?
Not looking for other suggestions, I just want to know if I can use this as an FV.
Thanks all.

Where do you live?
I find it hard to imagine that you can't find a plastic food-grade container (bucket, pail, cube, fermentor) that is 20-30L in size, most any restaurant or take away food shop is likely to have some (a cheese bucket, vinegar cube), let alone any camping shops, hardware stores or dedicated home brew shops.

The fermenting temperature is going to be much lower than that for the mash, so that's not going to be an issue, however there is the on-going debate as to if the plastics eskys are made from are 'food grade' or 'food safe' and if you should use them in direct contact with something you will eat/drink.

besides how easy a proper fermenter is to find i would imagine that in an esky the temp is going to build up very quickly during fermentation and bringing the temp down is goig to be next to impossible without submerging something very cold in the beer such as ice blocks wich would be an invitation for an infection. ask at safeways or coles for empty cheese buckets if your struggling they will probably be glad to give them to you just to get rid of them.

The only thing that i found about what eskies are made from
Is they are made from LLDPE which doesn't seem to be food grade
Come from WIKIPEDIA
Dont know how to post a link
This might work LINK

EDIT: What do you know i do know how to post a link it works

It was the heat issue I was worried about, and ensuring heat could escape. Anyone know if this issue is just an urban myth, or has it been proven to impact the fermentation process?

Aren't eskys designed (amongst other things) to hold liquids for drinking i.e gatorade, water etc? Would think they would have to be foodsafe for this?

I've searched high and low for the past 3 weeks for a suitable FV and I just cannot find anything like a food grade bucket.
I can source a 35l rubbermaid esky. Its like a tall insulated bucket, with a screw on lid, and a tap about 2 inches from the bottom. Nice smooth insides.
I have read these are not recommended as FVs, more for mashing, but with no other options...can I make this work? Do I need to consider any additional parameters whilst fermenting i.e internal temp may be higher?
Not looking for other suggestions, I just want to know if I can use this as an FV.
Thanks all.

Unless your living in Far North West Shit Hole you must be looking high and low in your linen cupboard, auto parts shop, 20 litre water(jerry) can...or hardware shop,
if you can source a rubbermaid and are willing to spend the cash use the bloody thing as a mash tun...
also I might add theres a f*#k load of online home brew shops that sell dedicated fermenting vessels, and do delivery, some are even linked at the top of the page...
get feckin serious and pull yor head out of ya arse and have a real look.

It was the heat issue I was worried about, and ensuring heat could escape. Anyone know if this issue is just an urban myth, or has it been proven to impact the fermentation process?

Aren't eskys designed (amongst other things) to hold liquids for drinking i.e gatorade, water etc? Would think they would have to be foodsafe for this?

Food grade and food safe are different
Gatorade and water in PET bottles in ice are what they are made for
Unless your talking about Gatorade at the American gridiron games
Then it is only in there for a couple of hours
Fermentation being exothermic (warms slightly as fermenting)
Eskies probably not a great idea with the proper lid on it atleast
Possibly use glad wrap
Or open ferment but could be asking for an infection

And your in the middle of Bum **** Ihio aren't you
Give it a go it wont kill you might leach some flavours though

Unless your living in Far North West Shit Hole you must be looking high and low in your linen cupboard, auto parts shop, 20 litre water(jerry) can...or hardware shop,
if you can source a rubbermaid and are willing to spend the cash use the bloody thing as a mash tun...
also I might add theres a f*#k load of online home brew shops that sell dedicated fermenting vessels, and do delivery, some are even linked at the top of the page...
get feckin serious and pull yor head out of ya arse and have a real look.

Have a bad day mate?

Be nice to the noobs.

You were one once, so was I.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the big green shed.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the big green shed.
You can get heaps of cool stuff at the BIG GREEN SHED they will have what you need , thought someone should mention them :ph34r:

He's in a country your not allowed to have alcohol in
K & K thread Basics to Basics from last week link

He's in a country your not allowed to have alcohol in
K & K thread Basics to Basics from last week link
Makes more sense now ... i lived in arnhem land same thing , Can you buy 10 ltr water bottles ? brew half batches.

Heh, yum beer, you're a character. And a nice guy too. (edited).

Yeah, I live in the middle of the desert, nothing here but camels and cadillacs. The shops have limited stock, and we have to make do with what we have. I can get hold of an esky, hence the question.

I can get hold of 18l water bottles, but they are made with "7" plastic, which I hear isnt too good for brewing.

Using it as a vessel with cling wrap and an elastic band should work, let heat out and the gas. Good idea.
I'm driving to a larger town tomorrow, I'll try to visit a couple of restaurants, see if they have anything.
Onwards!

Maybe line it with a garbage bag or similar? Im sure i read somewhere ages ago about people doing this. (maybe they were doing so in a prison or something? Dunno, cant remember exactly.

Also, it might be an idea to update your location in your profile to say out the back of butt fik or similar to help with the sort of answers you will get to these sorts of questions.

Yob

Heh, yum beer, you're a character. And a nice guy too. (edited).

Yeah, I live in the middle of the desert, nothing here but camels and cadillacs. The shops have limited stock, and we have to make do with what we have. I can get hold of an esky, hence the question.

I can get hold of 18l water bottles, but they are made with "7" plastic, which I hear isnt too good for brewing.

Using it as a vessel with cling wrap and an elastic band should work, let heat out and the gas. Good idea.
I'm driving to a larger town tomorrow, I'll try to visit a couple of restaurants, see if they have anything.
Onwards!

Hey mate,
it appears you 'DO' live in Far North West Shithole so I see your problem,
I apologise if the post came across a bit harsh, I assumed you were living here in Oz and had access to stuff like most of us do..
obvious it may be a bit more difficult for yourself. Good luck and I hope you can find something, as has been said restaurant/food places, even there may
have 20/25 litre pails from mayo and shit like that, if you can find one of them and put a small hole in lid and just cover with a crown seal or a lid off a small jar.

just did a quick check , water bottles numbered 2,4 or 5 are fine, 7 is not a good option.

Trying to be helpful for a dude in the desert,

Will Coopers mail the big box of starter kit? the mail everything else

won't be cheap freight, but you'll be better off in the long run.

Makes me feel a bit embarrassed that I complain about having to get Amber grain
and Muntons kits by mail as my local won't stock them as I'm the only person that askes for them.

I buy car parts from UK, bits for my window blinds from the USA,
with this internet we live in a world wide market place now;

ask Coopers for a quote.

If you get half a dozen brews shipped at the same time it might spread the shipping cost somewaht.

Will Coopers mail the big box of starter kit? the mail everything else
Get a couple pallets of commercial brews too. Tell customs to mind their own business or lick your balls. Should work out really nicely.

Back