Using an Air compressor to clean kegs/lines?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slave

Reaction score
Hi gang,

So after running my CO2 out again, I'm after a smarter option for cleaning lines etc.
I own an air compressor, just don't have the right connectors currently. Yes I could use a hand pump, but that's also quite time consuming.

Is there a reason why I can't use an air compressor to push through keg & line cleaner etc.?

Is there a better option here?

Cheers boys & girls.

There are a few problems with compressed air, if you have ever opened the drain valve on the bottom of the tank you will get some idea of what is getting pushed through the lines, if in a much more dilute form.
Biggest issue is Oil. Most industrial compressors bleed a bit of oil through with the air, it only takes trace amounts coating the inside of tanks and lines to totally destroy the head on beer.

Lacking a guaranteed oil free compressor I would stick with buying CO2.
Mark

Biggest issue is Oil.
Thanks.
I'm thinking of some sort of filter, that can take 20-50psi or so, should be a good fit.
Air compressor > hepa filter > gas corny disconnect.

I'm gonna have a look and see what I can find. Anyone else done something like this?

I'd be interested if you get something that works. Like you mentioned I just use my bike pump to push cleaner and flush with water. Then just c02 when I'm flushing the sanitiser out the posts.

I have a pond pump from bunnings (~$40) with a carbonation cap attached to the top. Pump goes in a bucket under the tap and the line to be cleaned connected to the carb cap. Open the tap and turn the pump on, recirc for as long as you want. I do PBW then water then starsan.

Thanks.
I'm thinking of some sort of filter, that can take 20-50psi or so, should be a good fit.

I'm gonna have a look and see what I can find. Anyone else done something like this?
After 20 odd years kegging I have gone with
Bottle > Regulator > gas corny disconnect.
Have tried and seen plenty of other options but the most basic works the best.
Mark

I have a pond pump from bunnings (~$40) with a carbonation cap attached to the top. Pump goes in a bucket under the tap and the line to be cleaned connected to the carb cap. Open the tap and turn the pump on, recirc for as long as you want. I do PBW then water then starsan.

This sounds way better than a coke bottle and a carb cap! Can you please point out the right pump on the Bunnings website?

Looks like the price has gone up over the last few years. $55 now.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-water-feature-pond-pump-small_p2820006
IMG_20200715_081005.jpg

Thanks.

You'll need a multi-stage filter; Coalescing filter to remove droplets(oil and water), probably two different stages of coalescing filters, Carbon filter to remove oil vapours and odour and HEPA to be sanitary. Essentially a Breathing Air supply filter like these Breathing Air Filtration | Supplied Air | Australian Welding Supplies.

That's a lot of CO2 for the cost!

Don't worry, the two filters (Carbon and particulate) are both $150ish and you will need to replace them from time to time.
Just be happy you aren't costing a sterile air supply - fark they hurt.
Mark

I made up a keg washer with a submersible pump that I had It works well for kegs
For beer lines I just use a garden sprayer ($7) with a universal post on it and just hand pump that for the lines
Low cost takes Bugga all time and small so easily stored

Back