Using A Portable Hotplate For Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guysmiley54

Reaction score
Hello,

I am using an electric element in a 50L stock pot for basic BIAB. I am looking at adding some extra power to speed up heating to strike and improve my boil.

I am considering using one of these:

http://www.appliancesdirectonline.com.au/v...plate-khp1.html

The idea is to sit the kettle on top and use the extra power from underneath. My main worry is that the hotplate might melt the rubber and plastic parts of my electric element (cord etc). I'm thinking though that if the diameter of the pot is much wider than the diameter of the hotplate (very likely!) then the external parts of the element wont be anywhere near the hotplate itself.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers :)

Hello,

I am using an electric element in a 50L stock pot for basic BIAB. I am looking at adding some extra power to speed up heating to strike and improve my boil.

I am considering using one of these:

http://www.appliancesdirectonline.com.au/v...plate-khp1.html

The idea is to sit the kettle on top and use the extra power from underneath. My main worry is that the hotplate might melt the rubber and plastic parts of my electric element (cord etc). I'm thinking though that if the diameter of the pot is much wider than the diameter of the hotplate (very likely!) then the external parts of the element wont be anywhere near the hotplate itself.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers :)

I though about the same idea. Even using LPG as a burner under the pot. Then the head sheilds, heat shrouds etc.
I think BribieG had one of those hot plates for a while?

I think an over the side immersion element is soo much better, or why not throw another element in the pot.

QldKev

With all the fear and worry about these elements at the moment, I'm not too keen to have a second one in my kettle. I'm also not sure of the best positioning of a second element anyway (plus a hotplate is less work than drilling and installing a permanent piece of kit... lazy me!!)

I've considered (and I suppose I'm still considering) an over the side element, but the price will be double to triple that of a cheap hotplate solution. I'm still keen to see if there are truly any real drawbacks to the idea before committing to a more expensive option.

Cheers

I though about the same idea. Even using LPG as a burner under the pot. Then the head sheilds, heat shrouds etc.
I think BribieG had one of those hot plates for a while?

I think an over the side immersion element is soo much better, or why not throw another element in the pot.

QldKev

For an immersion heater, this looks OK

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Travel...f#ht_2346wt_902

Problem is, you need to be certain that the depth of water/wort will be high enough to submerge the element correctly whilst still hanging from the rim on its hook. I'm wondering how well the lid will sit on the pot too with one of these dangling about.

Anyone bought an Ebay one like this?

If you have 3 phase supply, I have a commercial hotplate for sale (cheap).

Back